Finally drew a Muzzleloader tag. Help with new purchase.

Hbomb11

Hello all,

I saw there is a thread similar to this but my criteria looks to be quite a bit different. I drew a muzzleloader tag in North Dakota after 6 years and in the market for a new rifle. Following is our states law regarding muzzleloader:

Muzzleloader Season - Muzzleloading long guns of .45 caliber or larger, and handguns .50 caliber or larger, loaded through the muzzle, with flint or percussion ignition, firing black powder or black powder substitutes are legal. Smokeless powders are not legal. Telescopic sights are prohibited. (Exception: No magnification (1x) scopes are legal.)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I saw the recommendation of getting a 700 ultimate. I don't anticipate shooting over 300 ever with 1 power in fact 200 may be pushing it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat. Drew mine after 5 years. Drew a rifle tag too. I think I'm going with the rem 700 uml with an Eotech on top.

Congrats on the tag! My dads on 8 years and I'm on 6 and still no go. I would love to try the 700 it looks like a nice rig.

I went through this same dilemma when I dre my Nevada bull tag and had never muzzleloader hunted.
I have a recommendation for the process more then the actual rifle you choose.
1. Pick a top tier rifle, I chose the TC triumph, my dad had the bone collector version and I wanted to have a back up rifle so this made sense. I set both rifles up exactly the same.
2. Find scope mounts for your rifle and mount a reliable scope. I used a vortex pst that I was very confident in.

3. Pick a powder and go through load work off the bench just as you would with a rifle. Once you find something that shoots roughly 1" @ 100yds or better, take it to 300 yds and develop a drop chart between 100-300 yds (while the scope is mounted)

Now you know what your rifle is capable of and exactly what your drop data is out to 300 yds.

4. Take the scope off, zero your rifle at 150ish yards, or whatever you decide is a good middle ground, and practice until you get close to what you know your set up can do with a scope.

I used Williams peep sights (you can use a fixed o-1power scope?) blackhorn powder and Barnes. Very doable to shoot accurately at 2-300 yds with this set up.
Killed my 370" bull opening morning at 176yds, one shot.

Biggest recommendation is to practice a lot, get comfortable and when the moment happens you won't even think about it.
Good luck

Congrats Mudygmc! Good Luck!

NDfarmer, I talked to a couple guys that had 9 points and didn't draw. Hopefully next year will be your year.

Thanks for the information Dzel. I will definitely take your advice as this will be my first muzzleloader experience.

As a long time muzzleloader shooter, I'd suggest if you plan on making 300yd shots, with or without a scope, I'd go with the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM). Then ASAP have the newly designed breech plug installed by one of the three rifle builders doing the modification.

What you may or may not know, is you need enough retained bullet energy at longer ranges. Most standard production rifles, without HEAVY lead (400grs +), are running a little low on steam at 300yds, just slightly over 1,000fpe, using a 290gr bullet. With a 90° 5mph wind, you'll be off 11" (3.5MOA). Not saying its not doable, but way to many factors come into play, with the wind being your biggest enemy.
The RUM at 300yds, using a 3/4 maximum charge and a 300gr bullet, will net you 1,300fpe. Still, the wind will always be your enemy when shooting long range, with or without a scope. With a 90° wind of 5mph, you'll be nearly 9.9" (3.1MOA) off at 300yds.

Practice, practice, practice...…….

Got the bug for mzldrs couple years ago....ended up with knights Ultralite...
Nice weight to gun...scoped or peep shoots well...i just need more time to finesse loads....but I enjoy shooting it....a lot....

I just can't see many having a high likelihood of a good hit on game anywhere near 300 yards with an open sighted M-L. I think half that range is more than enough for most, under field conditions. My visits to the local range support my opinion.

Even out West one can put themselves into position for a closer shot, or stalk tighter. I just hate hearing about wounded game becoming coyote food. Yes I know it can happen to the best of us, just mentioning to keep odds in our favor.

I have a TC Pro-Hunter 50 that's nice shoots really good. I use White Hots in it and
Winchester 209 primers. Trijicon scope. I would have no problem with 200 yards
on deer.

I got a hunt at the end of this month for mule deer here in NM with muzzle loader. I got a TC Pro Hunter with Endeavor barrel on it. Thing hammers with 110 grains of Blackhorn and 290 Barnes. I will be done with it around 2 Nov. It currently has a zeiss V4 on it which will be useless to you but does have a nice rail to throw a reflex sight or something on it. Let me know if interested I will hook you up. It is like new and I have been shooting 300 yds and in with it and is very consistent if you loading skills are up to par.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts