I need help picking out a muzzleloader

Blackdirt Cowboy

I'm new to all things muzzleloader. I'm also fairly new to western hunting. I'm trying to set up a muzzleloader that I can use in any state that I may draw a tag. This is what I came up with so far:

.50 cal or larger
Can use loose powder or pelleted powder
Capable of firing solid lead conical sir sabot
Capable of using precision caps or 209 primers
Open style ignition system
Scoped with capability of removing scope for iron sights

Are there any muzzleloaders y'all would recommend that would meet all these requirements?

You might want to take a look on YouTube (Idaho lewis). This is a fellow that shoots a factory stock with added peep sight T/C Renegade 50 cal. with all sorts of bullets from round ball to 600ish gr paper patched bullets with loose powder. He goes into depth what he uses and how he loads.

This rifle has the standard 1 in 48" twist. He is shooting sub MOA out to 600 to 700ish yards. He states that in his experience with 1 in 48" and faster twist rifling the plain old Lyman planes bullet is very accurate on average. He has some other caliber, mostly Green River barrels, he fits to this same rifle and shoots at loooooog range.

You can always configure your sighting system to fit your needs.

Gun1: Thompson Encore Pro Hunter FX with aftermarket Bellm trigger kit. 50 cal 26" barrel Stainless Camo

Features: Easy hand/finger screw off breach plug for unloading unfired charges and cleaning. (T-handle ram rod separate purchase)

Performance: Shoot 290gr Barnes T-EZ bullets in Barnes sabot. 120gr Vol/84gr by weight charge of Blackhorn 209, Remington 209 primer. 1900fps ish. This bullet is absolute freight train murder on deer. Bang flop performance. I've seen every deer I've shot up to 110yds die in sight. (18-20 deer) I know dead is dead, but this makes it quick. ***For further shots and deer down within 30yds, the bullet of choice for me is the 300gr Hornady XTP .429 in a green crush rib Harvester sabot. Longer, sleeker bullet has high sectional density, higher BC and flatter trajectory. I've hit deer out to 180yds. Quarter size pass throughs.

Gun 2: Thompson Center Triumph 50 Cal 28" barrel (Bone Collector)

Features: Even faster 1/4 turn hand/finger breech plug, T-handle ram rod included, gel recoil pad, lower profile receiver to stock height

Performance: Same as above. 75fps faster

Even though you can't replace the factory trigger on the Triumph I think it is the better buy with slightly more desirable features.

Not every state will allow 209 primers in ML season.

To get everywhere you want a sidelock over an inline. Edit: I think there are one or two inline's that have exposed ignition.

Last edited:
Some states have weird regulations. I think PA even requires you to use only flintlock rifles. Other states like LA allow you to use straight wall cartridge single shot rifles during their primitive weapons season.

Some states have weird regulations. I think PA even requires you to use only flintlock rifles. Other states like LA allow you to use straight wall cartridge single shot rifles during their primitive weapons season.
I think he's just referring to Western hunting though.

I think he's just referring to Western hunting though.
Correct. I'm just talking about western hunting. And I went through the regulations of the states I'm interested in applying in order to come up with that list of requirements in my original post.

That "open style ignition" requirement. What exactly does that mean according to the regulations of the state you will be hunting in?

To me that would mean the old exposed side lock etc. hammer and nipple cap lock.

I have an old in line Knight T-Bolt Mag 50 Cal. that originally was set up to use either a regular cap or musket cap by changing the nipple. You could see the cap when the straight line bolt was cocked back.

I found a conversion kit to switch over to use 209 primers with the red plastic inserts. You can still see them when the bolt is cocked. I still use this rifle and killed two bucks with it this past year. It is scoped. I now use Hodgdon 777 FFG 80 grs with a sabot and .452 diameter 250 gr Hornady XTP pistol bullet. WICKED ON DEER.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.