Need imput on extending the range of an Idaho traditional muzzleloader.

Home cast lead could be just as good depending on the quality of the cast and how it seals. Swiss 1.5 f might be hot enough to ingnite the Blackhorn 209. As the Blackhorn name states it is designed to be ignited by a hot 209 primer. The combination of the hottest cap available (RWS) and the ffff gets the job done. Yes it is a peep site. The bucks in unit 45 are quality in size. If you hunt in the canyons and the rocky fingers within 2 miles of the farmland from Bliss to Glensferry you can get the 28 to 36 inch range. Mine can in at just under 30 inches. Impossible hunt to draw on centerfire but your chances go way up for muzzleloader.

In my opinion home cast is best as I control the quality myself , if a bullet is more than .5gr heavy or light it gets melted again . Bullets get batched by weight and that is how they are used as well.
As I mostly use sidelock rifles to hunt so for me it has to be 1.5 or 2F swiss . Depending on the twist of the rifle I use up to 585gr p/p bullets and 100 to 110gr of powder which is good for 600 yards plus but must add that you need tall vernier sights to reach that far.

Hey thanks everyone for your response. I appreciate all the info. Sorry it took me awhile to respond as i was out in the field. Final question; I'm now looking for a peep sight or a tang sight any recomendations? thanks

For long range shooting you need a tall sight , look at he sights they sell with the Pedersoli Gibbs .451 target rifles.

I'm in the process of having a .451 build for 600 yds. and that sucker uses a 3" tall rear vernier sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.