So what muzzleloader should i get??

Shawn62085

Never owned ownd one so new all around with them but I don't want a junk one!
I'm in MD so not sure about the laws or anything just wanted so input on what everyone is using!!
Thanks!

I suggest that you stay away from CVA with how many negative reviews of barrel quality. Although their Optima is a good budget friendly rifle. You can't go wrong with a Woodman Arms rifle though. There's many great things about their muzzleloaders.

Should be able to walk in to any store that carries MZLDRs and walk out with one..no background checks needed...
I've a 50 cal UL Knight....shot it a bunch...
Removed the open sights and have an adjustable peep and front crosshair...
Figure zero power scope....learn to shoot it and you will have fun....
Slows down the rate of shooting...but makes you concentrate more for the one shot.....

Depends on whether you are interested in primitive black powder or modern smokeless muzzle loaders. There is a legal difference with transfers and which ones (smokeless) some states don't allow. Check your regs before purchasing.

I shoot smokeless and it's literally a blast!

:)

Slows down the rate of shooting...but makes you concentrate more for the one shot.....
I found this to be very true and made me a better shooter with centerfire as well.
I shoot an old Cabelas .54 cap gun, can't really comment on what is currently out there.
One thing that we did find when we (12 of us) were all trying different rifles was that twist rate pretty much determined what type of bullet worked best.
One in 24 worked well with sabots, but didn't seem to like conicals or patched round balls.
Mine is one in 48 and shoots everything well.
One in 72 is mostly for patched round balls.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with!

You have to do enough research to know the ML rules where you hunt. Depending on whether you need a traditional ML or can use a modern one, the suggestions will be VERY different. I like the challenge of shooting the old guns so I have Left Hand Flintlock muzzle Loaders. In .62, .54 and.32, I cover everything from Buffalo to squirrels. With practice you can hunt with them to 150 yards quite easily. They are also a ton of fun at the range and really inexpensive to shoot.

If I wanted a ML for longer range hunting and they were allowed during ML season, I would look at the Remington or Savage, both are excellent modern MLs at very reasonable prices.

Are you talking inline or black powerder? Regardless I always like anything Thompson Center but they stopped producing black powder guns several years ago so you probably would only find a used one and as for their inlines, now that Smith & Wesson gutted them a few years back you might still find some new stuff lying around at a random gun shop.

I always liked the looks of anything CVA, but I just watched a video about their nitride being pretty terrible. I know this was mentioned above but just wanted to show that their nitride failed after 8 hours of abuse. I get it that most normal hunters wouldnt be in the environment they put the gun through, but some guys think nitride or stainless means they never need to clean it. Especially with black powder, that couldnt be further from the truth

Last edited:
I only hunt ML when the opportunity arises. I happen to be on ML quota hunt as I write this. I have a Knight 50 cal that has done its job for over 25 years. It is a pain to clean and load. I bought a CVA Accura MRX this year. It is so much easier to clean and load. I'm really not worried about the nitride issues that have been reported. It shoots well with BH209 and 270 gr Powerbelts. As little as I shoot ML's, I just have not justified paying the big bucks for a smokeless build. Maybe one day I will catch the ML obsession…..

I'm in Md as well, regs are 40cal and up and you are allowed a smokeless barrel. I personally would look for a used TC Encore. I have used mine for 20+ years now, but now it has a Arrowhead smokeless barrel on it. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money then go with a CVA Optima LR
I'm in MD so not sure about the laws or anything just wanted so input on what everyone is using!!
Thanks!

If you can find an OLD Remington 700 ML, those guns are awesome. Do the 209 conversion on them so the bolt actually cradles the primer and you will have a 250 yard gun with Triple 7 and Power belts and you are good. If you want to have a rifle that is still legal for ML, and the regs allow, my smokeless is dead nuts to 400 yards and I would take a 500 yard shot if conditions are right. I have bench shot it to 575 yards with very repeatable results. My smokeless is custom built on a savage action with Arrowhead barrel and ignition.

For me a muzzleloader is a primitive weapon to be used in a primitive weapon season, if I had a super cool smokeless ML range/dial/shoot setup I'd use it in the rifle season. Same with a scoped 209 primer rig. I think both the smokeless and 209 rifles are super cool, how capable they are is amazing. But they aren't for me, I shoot flintlocks with real black powder and a patched round ball. I'm in it for the hunt. Not saying I am right and others aren't at all, this is what it is to ME and why I use what I use. My flintlocks get about double archery distance, I try to keep it at 100 and in, 100 yards is a fairly long shot but if you practice they are accurate and lethal at 150. If you are going to stretch the distance beyond 100 get a bigger bore, 54 and up, further up is better. Wind is a huge factor as you get long using a round ball too, they make a 22lr look awesome when comparing wind drift. Working on a 62 and a 67 cal for the tags I hope to draw next year. Shoot your first game animal with a rifle that was state of the art circa 1750 and tell me it wasn't cool and that it didn't charge you up like your first game animal with a rifle or your first bow kill. I'll bet you can't.

I'm a big fan of the Remington 700 UML. I swapped out the breechplug for the Arrowhead Rifles breechplug for trouble free shooting of BH209.

This gun is not the older Rem 700 ML.

100 yds 3 shot group using a stout charge of BH209.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 57
Thanks!
If you are wanting an inline you can't go wrong with a CVA Accura. When I was looking I tried a TC and a Knight both before I got the CVA. It will out shoot any others that I tried. Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder.

If you are wanting an inline you can't go wrong with a CVA Accura. When I was looking I tried a TC and a Knight both before I got the CVA. It will out shoot any others that I tried. Thor bullets and Blackhorn 209 powder.

I second this. My accura mr-x is absolutely amazing.