Need Input on Custom Rifle Components

Mark37082

I'm not sure what the right forum is for this question as it covers optics and suppressors. I am struggling with the decision between higher end glass or suppressor. Sure I would like both, but sometimes you just need to pump the brakes on the $$$ you spend on one rifle.

Option 1: Spend approximately $3k on great glass and forego the suppressor. I have a brake on the build order that will come in at $320 for the brake and contouring/timing.

Option 2: Spend approximately $1500 on a suppressor (includes tax stamp), eliminate the brake, and spend around $2k on glass.

This will be primarily a hunting rifle, but will see some time at the range as well. My hearing is suffering at this point, but so is my eye sight. Growing old is a pain sometimes.

Words of wisdom is appreciated.

That March F you posted is the exact scope that put me at this decision point. The good thing about either option is the flexibility to mix and match to other rifles with the exception of the brake.

If it were me, I would buy a suppressor first and then spend the rest on a good optic. Depending on brand and size of suppressor, you can get one for less than $1500 including tax stamp. While you are waiting for your Form 4 to come back either save a little more money or take the money you have left and purchase a nice scope. Just a warning, once you have one suppressor, you will want more.

Good luck with your decision.
Wyatt

Wyatt - you make a good point on the wait game. Since I am still waiting on the build components it may make sense to just get on the wait list for the suppressor as well. Decisions, decisions……. I need to make a decision fairly quickly if I want eliminate the brake. I have been looking hard at the TBAC Ultra 7.

You can't go wrong with an TBAC Ultra 7 they are probably the best suppressor out there. If you can't find one in stock somewhere, the last I checked, the wait just to get a serial number from Thunder Beast was 6 months or more, and that's not including the wait you will have with the BATFE.

Well, I won't bore you with all the details, but it is a 280AI on a Anti X action, and 24" Proof Sendero CF barrel. I have a Mesa Altitude stock on order. The action is the long pole in the tent. Wait, wait, wait.

Im still using a brake, where plugs hunting.And I like my March but its not that great over 20 x compared to another scope I own, but the weight fits my hunting rifle.Would like a suppressor but not on my 26'' rifle

I get what your saying, but there are trade offs it probably makes sense to consider along the way. The best part is if you want something different you can always change. I'm trying to experience new things this time around. Got to get out of my box in order to really know if I've been missing something that matters.

Im still using a brake, where plugs hunting.And I like my March but its not that great over 20 x compared to another scope I own, but the weight fits my hunting rifle.Would like a suppressor but not on my 26'' rifle
To be honest I would be happy with a 18-20X top end. I've yet to own a suppressor, but I wish bought one years ago. I still try to use my old hoop style EP when I'm hunting now. Once I get eyes on the quarry I instinctively plop them in my ears.

Recent Posts