Seeking advice on custom rifle

Vazquezshell

I am fairly new to long range hunting, and custom rifles. I am looking to buy my first rifle and after some research I found this rifle which I believe is a good overall caliber with enough power to take elk or other large animals at long ranges. I am currently in the process of buying reloading equipment so that is not a problem and this would also allow me to bring down the power of the ultra mag for whitetail every once in a while. I would like to know what you think of this setup by red hawk rifles. If I were to buy this rifle I do plan in getting a jewel trigger. Please help as this is a Christmas present for myself and I want to make sure it's worth it.

REM 700 SS ALASKAN 300 RUM MB TI CLONE SUB MOA : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

man like you i am new to long range hunting, but i have been 350 yard and less hunting since before i can remember. i have owned a model 700 in the 7mm mag version for 6 or 7 years and i love it i have had no trouble out of it. mag brother owns a similar model to mine and he loves it. i convinced a friend to buy the same gun as mine and he loves it my dad has my same gun but it is about 20 years old and still shoots like the day it was bought. he also has the 700 in a 300 win mag i have shot it a few times. it packs a wallop but i like the gun. as far as long range stuff i am of no help, but gun quality its great.

You said this would be your "first rifle", My opinion is that a 300Rum is a bit much for a first rifle.

Getting a bunch of trigger time before you get such a hard kicking caliber, would be my recommendation.

AJ

I settled for the 300 RUM because I thought it was a good overall caliber to hunt almost all species I could encounter plus offer good long range ballistics. I put this post to see if you guys thought the "custom" work was worth the extra money. I am however planning on getting a 308 in the future which will allow me to spend a lot of time behind the trigger after this hunting season.

OK,

My personal opinion on the rifle in the link.

1) Rem 700 is my favorite action.
2) Sako extractor only helps.
3) Stock is fine.
4) Stainless is good.
5) I don't care for radial Muzzle Brakes, because they throw dust when shot from the prone position.

Other than the Muzzle Brake, That would be a fine rifle for most long range work.

Hope that helps,
AJ

Please don't be offended by my previous post. That is an awesome rifle and the 300Rum is an awesome cartridge, what scope do you plan to mount on it? Which rings?

AJ

Dont worry i wasn't offended, I am more than happy to hear everyones opinions, as this and the reloading equipment are going to set me back a little financialy I am going to put an old Leupold 3-9 that my dad has laying around while I can save up for a Nightforce 5.5-22x50. As for rings i was thinking of the burris zee rings. What do you think?

Dont worry i wasn't offended, I am more than happy to hear everyones opinions, as this and the reloading equipment are going to set me back a little financialy I am going to put an old Leupold 3-9 that my dad has laying around while I can save up for a Nightforce 5.5-22x50. As for rings i was thinking of the burris zee rings. What do you think?

There are so many good rings out there to choose from (its great). I use NightForce rings on my NightForce scopes. On my Leupold/Rem 700, I use a Seekins Aluminum 20moa base with their heavy duty rings.

I used 3x9 scopes on my first Rem700 for many many years, my longest deer was taken with the 3x9 at 875yds. Now I have a 4.5x14x40mm Leupy on my carry around Rem 700. The NightForce scopes are great for my Heavy rifles, but are too heavy (in my opinion) for a carry around rifle.

Good Luck,
AJ

Thanks for the advice I will keep it mind. My brother in law is getting the nightforce this week so I'll see if I like it and make my decision from there.

i have always been wary about buying a used gun though. you dont know how that gun has been treated. if they have stuck the end of the barrel on the floorboard of their truck, and the rifling on the end is messed up, causing the bullet to not fly in a knowledgable pattern.

I've always thought that their rifles appeared to be a good deal. Add up the cost of the parts (rifle + B&C stock + cryo + extractor + magazine) and you're close to the cost of the rifle as sold.

Some thoughts -

I'd pick a different brake, as mentioned earlier. Will they make you a rifle with a radial-style brake or one with no holes in the bottom? You will only have to shoot once in the dust to hate this one.

I have never seen documented if they bed the action to the stock or not. I'd definitely do that if not done already.

I'd buy the 308 first, larger caliber second.

I like Burris Zee (better yet Signature Zee) rings, but I'd go with stronger ones if you're getting a Nightforce. $1800 scope and $30 rings? No.

Good luck on buying a rifle! Let us know what you decide.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.