need advice on rifle selection...plz help!

marcus_rubbo

im trying buy the most accurate rifle + scope i can for around $1000-$2000 i looked at the tikka t3 tactical and it looks like a quality rifle....i also looked at the tactical m40 it has a 1/2 inch MOA Guarrente....

http://www.tacticalrifles.net/tactical_m40.asp

any other manufactuers or rifles that u think will do what i want it to.....
im looking at a 308 but i hear the balistics for the 300wsm are alot better...any other calibers that u guyz would use? and how bad is the recoil of the 338 lupala?

Is the budget for the bare rifle only? What are you going to do with it- Bench shooting, Hunting- if so what? punching holes in paper a long way away? Are you willing to start reloading? You might talk to some of the rifle makers here in the forum, for that kind of cash you can get a nice custom rig built expressly for you- to your specs. As for the Lapua, in a hunting weight rifle without a brake it has dislocated shoulders. My AR30 with a brake is like shooting a 243 with howitzer-like muzzle blast. The lapua factory ammo is about $3.25 per round. I can help you more if I know more about your situation. One peice of sage advice: Shoot what you can afford to shoot alot of. Trigger time, trigger time, trigger time.

[ QUOTE ]
Shoot what you can afford to shoot alot of. Trigger time, trigger time, trigger time.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on that statement. That being said the 308 (your original choice) is one rifle you can shoot a lot and not break the bank, or your shoulders. Because you can afford to shoot it alot you will be VERY profficient with it. Once you learn all there is to know about it and how to use it the barrel will still have alot of life left. So many others burn up so fast that once you get to know it, its done.

If you can afford the "M40" with a 1/2" promise the choice would be clear to me. Otherwise some of the heavy Rem 700's in 308 would serve you very well.

I would be willing to bet that any of the Savage heavy bbled .308s would give .5 MOA or better right out of the box for alot less money.

site1.JPG

Mine sure does! $2063.00 invested not including the suppressor. 1/2 minute all day long. Savage 10fp $450, base & ringss $180, stock $158, bipod $75, glass $1200.

thnx guyz...i really want to build my rifle on a remington 700 action thou because obviouly so many people do it for a reason..ive heard really good things and bad things about savage. what are the pro's and cons of savage i have heard that their actions are pretty cheap feeling

HS Precision does an excellent job in the price range you're looking at, long standing company- NEVER heard anything bad about them. If nothing else, a few of their stocks have been in my safe thru the years.
HS Precision

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.