Advice Needed on Bipods

I've used a Stoney Point Explorer tripod with the standard yoke on the top for several years now. Mostly shooting a rifle in a MCM A5. it seemed fine with the wide forend to me, but maybe I just don't know better....

I considered a tripod, but it seems that it wouldn't work as well as a bipod when used in a sitting position on a hill. Seems to me a tripod would work better on flatter ground. I shoot usually on hills so as to get a better view of any coyotes sticking their noses in my direction. They are easier to see that way. I just returned from an Arizona hunt, after checking out the incredible things at the Cabela's store in the Phoenix area. Of all the things they had for sale there, the Stoney Point Pivot Bipod was not on the shelf. It appears they were sold out. I hunted without a bipod, but the weather turned to garbage, and, being unfamiliar with the particular USFS spot, it turned out to be a no-go for the dogs. Apparently kids used the place to have parties, as evidenced by past bonfires with beer bottles, etc. As I left, there was some guy parked in a camper, with tent on the ground. He was sitting at one of the sites I had hunted the previous day.

I then got smart and got a map of the entire area from the U.S. Forest Service, and luckily talked to a Ranger who was a hunter in the Sedona-Cottonwood area where I wanted to hunt. I will return later this year. It seems that I spent more time scouting than shooting, but that is the price one pays when hunting in completely unfamiliar territory. No big deal.....gets me some excercise. Sorry for the thread drift.

Bear in mind that the Stoney Point tripod gives you options. You can adjust the third leg a little short and clip it to one of the others and you have a bipod. No way you can make a bipod a tripod though :D.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.