Need ideas for storage asap

kshekailo919

I have lots of powder and primer amongst all the other reloading supplies. Since my kids took over my hobby room my reloading stuff has been stuffed in my closet. Now wife wants more room in the closet. Now my attic is not isnt fully insulated and I have a non insulated cellar for a basement. Can anyone recommend air tight containers to store the equipment in, in a less than desirable area. Thanks in advance

Sure others will chime in with better ideas. Have seen some use old refrigerators. One item that I like are the metal ammo boxes. I even use them as tool boxes in the back of my pickup, snow, rain, ice, nothing ever gets in them. A friend tipped over a raft and lost his expensive camera in one. Came back when the water went down and was lucky enough to find the ammo box. The camera was fine as well as the film and pictures that were in the camera. Good luck. The size I personally like are what I (for some reason and I'm not sure why) call the 50 cal. ammo can. Good luck

Here is a crazy idea for you. Build a platform bed out of two sheets of 3/4" birch plywood with a 1X4 hardwood piece epoxied down the middle to hold the two pieces of plywood together. Use a 4X6 for legs cut to length such that you can slide totes under the bed. Mine are 13" long. Then fill up the totes and slide under the bed. It really is not a good idea to store powder in an uncontrolled environment.

Never store powder or primers In the attic because of the high temperatures. The basement is ok if you use a insulated box (The Old refrigerator is a good idea) and keep the powder/primers in ammo boxes marked with the contents. I would also use a "Golden rod" (A type of heater to control humidity at around ambient temps. They are used inside fine pianos).

The idea is to try and maintain near constant temperatures so the powder does not breathe in moisture or sweat when temperatures change suddenly.

J E CUSTOM

919, a friend keeps his powder in a bar fridge that didn't cool anymore. In anticipation of a possible Liberal presidential win, I stocked up on components and vacuum sealed most of the primers, but keep everything in the spare room vacated bu my son 20 years ago.

Thanks guys. Definitely can't get a fridge in my cellar. It's a challenge getting large storage down there. Maybe I'll have to try the under the bed thing or findo some spot to put em in the house.

I store primers in 30 cal. GI Ammo Boxes and powder in 50 cal. Ammo Boxes locked in a GI foot locker. In my transfers and rental houses for years in basements and cellars. That worked good with the old flat powder cans. With all powder now in round jars a large container like the 20 MM Ammo Box may work better. A 50 Cal. Ammo Box will only hold about 3 IMR or Hodgdon bottles or 2 Reloader size 1 lb. bottles. Take the container to a dry place for adding and taking powder and primers from the containers. Large 4 and 8 lb. bulk would not fit. For safety a lockable container is important.

I have lots of powder and primer amongst all the other reloading supplies. Since my kids took over my hobby room my reloading stuff has been stuffed in my closet. Now wife wants more room in the closet. Now my attic is not isnt fully insulated and I have a non insulated cellar for a basement. Can anyone recommend air tight containers to store the equipment in, in a less than desirable area. Thanks in advance
Don't store in the attic for any reason. The excessive heat will ruin the powder.

The cellar will be fine as long as it stays well above freezing. You can use resealable 5 gallon buckets or surplus ammo cans.

I picked up some surplus 20 and 40mm ammo cans years ago and as long as their gaskets are still good they work just fine.Best to use some sort of dessicant to protect the primers from moisture that might get sealed into the containers due to relative humidity. Powder and primers will last decades as long as they are kept in a "cool dry place".

As Kirby said, if you need to you can use an insulated cooler box to protect from freezing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.