Temp/Humidity for storage

cornchuck

At what temperature and humidity combination should powder and primers be stored at? My reloading room is the upstairs of my shop. It has no windows, heat, or a/c. I have been watching the temperature and humidity levels and the temp has been climbing as high as 90 and the humidity has been around 50-55 percent. Before it got really hot outside, the temp was lower and the humidty would be around the 70 percent mark.

I would like to move my gun safe outthere with the reloading equipment and where I clean them. So I don't have to drag them through the house everytime I need them in the reloading room. But also don't want them to start rusting because of high moisture.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Jason

Jason,

you need to keep your powders someplace cooler than this, and the primers shouldn't be exposed to this sort of humidity. The temperature variation won't do them any good, either, but the humidity is a real problem. Some sort of airtight storage (GI Ammo cans will work fine, so long as the gasket is in good shape) is viable here. As for the powders, temperature variations are a problem, and extreme heat is a real killer for them, and will cause degradation and breakdown over time. An unopened can or keg should be airtight, but I wouldn't totally count on that, either. Problem here is, powder's hygroscopic; it absorbs moisture. It will do this out of humid air, just as it will actual water in contact with it. Again, it'll break it down over time, and will immediately cause drastic differences in performance when you load. Not a good thing, either way.

If at all possible, powder should be kept in a comfortable environment, such as inside the house. A friend of mine used to keep his powders not just in his reloading room, but in a refrigerator. This was a defunct fridge he picked up for free somewhere, not plugged in or running. But the extra insulation and a near airtight seal made for an ideal storage place.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Thanks for the info Kevin. After thinking more about the subject I went and got my powder and primers and brought them into the house. I will keep them in the house until I can get my reloading room more climate friendly.

I keep all my guns, ammo, powder/primers inside my house. In the cold months the house is at a constant 64 degrees and in warm months a/c is set at 76 degrees so my temp spread is always between 64-76 low humidity. I'd be concerned first about the humidity.

Get yourself so GI 50 cal ammo cans and keep your reloading stuff in them. That is what I do and I have some powder that is over 20 yrs old that is still good, still smells brand new ( alcohol smell ). I have primers that are over 15 yrs old.
Tha cans have a weather proof seal.
Tarey

The recommendations given above are spot on!

The only thing better is to relocate to southeast Idaho and store things in the basement.:)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:rolleyes:

(I grew up in northwest PA, so I know your concern)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.