Need help with pressure problems

Here is what I am talking about for headspace. I can't see new, fired, and resized all the same length. Plus, 2.023 seems way short if using the correct headspace gauge.

New unfired brass.

Fired

Resized

I don't have one of those. First picture is new unfired. Second pic was the stuck case that had to be tapped out. I know my measurements are not exact as your device but I think mine shows something

Attachments

• 41A890AC-84B8-4D7D-B241-0A8E65A61FD1.jpeg
    41A890AC-84B8-4D7D-B241-0A8E65A61FD1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 87E88F27-BBDE-45D8-AE1E-49EFC700E841.jpeg
    87E88F27-BBDE-45D8-AE1E-49EFC700E841.jpeg
    940.8 KB · Views: 140
Take a look at the bolt face to see if there is something obvious

Attachments

• 317FB241-16FD-4E0E-9C84-255805D1E668.jpeg
    317FB241-16FD-4E0E-9C84-255805D1E668.jpeg
    816.9 KB · Views: 144
Lance I see the measurements are ever so slight that measuring the way I did would not reveal case growth.

Here is the piece of brass that had to be tapped out. I smoked it up and tried to lock it in with the bolt. It would not go in all the way and left the scuff marks.
I did take other fired brass and cycled them in and out to check the ejection.

Attachments

• F83020B1-4754-4F1B-88E4-7F81C1752976.jpeg
    F83020B1-4754-4F1B-88E4-7F81C1752976.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 172
Maybe measure a fired case so as to see if you chamber is not out of round. I find it weird that a fired case has difficulty to cycle, unless the pressure was very high. Going by the loads you posted that should not be the case.

I exchanged PMs with trnelson today about this rifle. He suggested that I stop shooting it until I had a gunsmith to check it out. I agreed.
I had already stopped.
I called Remington today and told them what the rifle was doing. I told them I had read on the net that the 700s with a serial number beginning with RR were trouble makers. Mine starts with RR. They asked for my serial number. I was put on hold for several minutes and the lady from customer service told me they would send me a label to return the rifle to them for inspection. I'm supposed to get the return label in 24 hours.
She said to include a letter with the problems inside the box.
I'm hoping this will get the rifle fixed. I read on the net about others sending their rifles in and nothing being done. I'm optimistic!

Lance I thought about polishing the chamber until I chatted with trnelson. He thinks it's has head space issues. My loads are at the very bottom of Hodgdon starting point and with the cases sticking as hard as they are I would rather take it slowly and let the manufacturers figure it out.

If Remington says it is OK, when you get it back, as long as you resize the brass and only bump the shoulder back .002", you should no longer have a headspace issue. When you have too much headspace, the brass grows like a balloon quickly, and slams against the chamber, and can cause signs of pressure. Swelling inside the chamber, slamming back into the bolt face creating ejector marks or flattened primers, etc. To me, your brass did not show much signs of overpressure. Just the sticky bolt lift and failure to eject could easily be a burr and bad extractor. But.....good to be on the safe side if you are not sure. Keep us informed on what happens.

If you do get it back with a clean bill of health...
1. Load the fire forming brass lighter, and shoot them to form in your chamber.
2. Buy a headspace gauge
3. Set your dies up to YOUR case length bumping shoulder back only .002". Not all chambers are the same. I have found .005" variance in R700s in 7RM alone. Add Ruger, Savage, and Winchester in there, you could easily have a bit more variance in chamber dimensions.
4. Reload and start your load development just like any other cartridge. Similar to any other fire forming technique. Like an Ackley or other "improved" version.
5. Find your load, and shoot it.
6. Kill a lot of animals with it.
7. Eat those animals.
8. Repeat
9. Eventually, rebarrel it when you burn it out.

Have you checked your brass length? When brass is too long, it gets pinched in the leade, and can cause pressure issues. Don't know if it's your issue, but worth checking.

I exchanged PMs with trnelson today about this rifle. He suggested that I stop shooting it until I had a gunsmith to check it out. I agreed.
I had already stopped.
I called Remington today and told them what the rifle was doing. I told them I had read on the net that the 700s with a serial number beginning with RR were trouble makers. Mine starts with RR. They asked for my serial number. I was put on hold for several minutes and the lady from customer service told me they would send me a label to return the rifle to them for inspection. I'm supposed to get the return label in 24 hours.
She said to include a letter with the problems inside the box.
I'm hoping this will get the rifle fixed. I read on the net about others sending their rifles in and nothing being done. I'm optimistic!
I would go to a good gunsmith before sending a rifle back to ANY manufacturer.

Thanks guys! If I had a GOOD gunsmith close by I would take it to them and get it fixed. There is a gunsmith literally two miles away from my house. Brian Cosby. By the time he got around to looking it over it would have decomposed.

Mud my brass was 2.502. Would 2 thou cause this much issue I'm not sure but don't think so.
I will report back once Remington looks her over and follow lances recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.