338 Edge – Need Help with Early Pressure Signs

It's not the end of the world! Many bullets are insensitive to seating depth and some actually like a long jump. I don't have any experience with them but I've read some of the Barnes (TSX or similar I think) like a long jump. Do a thread search to read about them. Seems VLD's are the ones most finicky about seating depth but even those sometimes shoot well back from the lands. Just have to try and find out what works in your gun.
I'd recommend getting the Hornady tool to measure your guns chamber against the bullets you have to see hong long they end up when seated to the lands. I'm not sure if Hornady makes modified case for the 6.5 but - better yet - you can send them a couple once fired cases (& $15) and they will make you one that fits your chamber better than an off the shelf one.

Finally got out today to do some shooting. Set the chrono out to 25ft and had no problems getting good readings. Below are the results:

90.0gr H1000 - 2766
90.5gr H1000 - 2801
91.0gr H1000 - 2807
91.5gr H1000 - 2840
92.0gr H1000 - 2842

Of course brass still looks like it is taking a beating but I expected that. Accuracy still looks very promising! Below is the target.
Next, I'm going to try groups of three loaded at 90.5 and 91.0grs and shoot some groups at 200+ yards and see if I can tell a difference with 1/2gr. I'm hitting 2800fps with those loads and don't think I need to push it any harder.
Thanks for the replies and input.

Jay

Attachments

• DSC04659.JPG
    DSC04659.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 47
Looks like you are in the sweet spot for grouping. I would load a handful of 91 gr and stretch your targets out and see how they do. Just for reference, my 338 Rum with 300 gr OTM's and an overall length of 3.675 is shooting a corrected 2830 with 90 grs of H-1000 and drops are verified to 1250 yds. I have Federal Nickel cases and Remington Brass cases and some of the cases leave ejector marks like yours. I was at 91 grains and my primer pockets in the Federal brass were taking a beating. The Remingtons are better. I have heard that the Nosler brass is pretty soft in comparision.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts