Need help with DBMs. First time building a rifle using this set up.

Justice1327

I am building a few rifles, using bighorn origin actions (LA, MA, SA)and lone Peak fusion (SA & MA)this will be my first rifles with detachable box magazines.(excluding M14/16/AR15)

Ideally, I would like to keep all the bottom medal and DBMs the same or compatible so it would not be a problem with interchangeability / versatility.

I have most all the components and just bought two manners LRH Stocks over the Black Friday sale for the lone Peak fusion actions.

Originally I purchased the Hawkings bottom metal and DBM hunter magazines for the Big Horn origins. These are for my carbon fiber stocks that will be used for hunting. However, I also have an MDT and XLR chassis for two additional SA/ MA origins. For those two I do not need the hunter profile. I am fine with a higher capacity magazine. Which kind is the question?

I believe after doing some more reading it seems like the bottom metal for the origins is specific for the low profile hunter magazines only.

For the loan peak fusion actions I have not purchased the bottom metal or magazines yet.

Additionally, I am not sure of the difference between AI vs AW vs M5 magazines / bottom medal.

Ultimately what I would like is one type of bottom metal for each action that can use the hunter magazine, & AI & AW & M5 magazines.

I was trying to purchase these this weekend for the black Friday sale.

Any help is appreciated if someone has a chart or site that tells me what type of bottom metal to get from Hawkings that can use all of the above magazines.

Again, this is new to me, so maybe you can clarify if I'm missing something. Thank you.

Look at this page, it has compatability listed

This might help with mag patterns.

Attachments

• 1669473431378.png
    1669473431378.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 102
Thank you. I did see the Hawkins page, but the below raised some???
  • Long Actions: Hawkins Flush Hunter Magazines (will not work with 5 round CIP length AICS, MDT, or Accurate magazines)
Not sure if this applies to me or not.

My Origin actions are cut for AIC mags, while the Fusion is cut for AW mags.

Can the origin be modified for the AW mags? If so, perhaps then I could use one type of magazine?

From what I was told if the action is cut for AIC magazines and the AW magazines will work. got an order in with Hawkins and MDT. I'll put the bottom metal in the stock with the action and test fit them to see if they both work and feed reliably.

Thank you. I did see the Hawkins page, but the below raised some???
  • Long Actions: Hawkins Flush Hunter Magazines (will not work with 5 round CIP length AICS, MDT, or Accurate magazines)
Not sure if this applies to me or not.

My Origin actions are cut for AIC mags, while the Fusion is cut for AW mags.

Can the origin be modified for the AW mags? If so, perhaps then I could use one type of magazine?
CIP length is 3.85" magazines designed for big boomers like the Lapua and Normas. These also need cip length dbm's which the Hawkins isn't.

As long as your rifles will be a standard LA/Magnum using the standard 3.7" mags you're fine with the Hawkins mags and metal.

Thank you I wanted to get a magazine that would allow me to set the bullet out further for my 7 Practical. I think I'll be fine. Attached is a picture of my current cartridges that I'm trying to make sure lineup for the proper magazine length. And one for the 7 practical. The short and medium are all 162 ELD's , the 280 is a 175 ELD and the 7 mm practical is a 180 ELD. Ideally, I would like to get a slightly heavier/longer bullet for the 7 mm practical.

Attachments

• F412D80B-F94B-4DC1-A703-977590512E6D.jpeg
    F412D80B-F94B-4DC1-A703-977590512E6D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 735EFD45-43CE-4725-94D8-F1E73DD74D93.jpeg
    735EFD45-43CE-4725-94D8-F1E73DD74D93.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 933FFC83-E4EC-40C3-9400-663F0A08A110.jpeg
    933FFC83-E4EC-40C3-9400-663F0A08A110.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
H-S Precision Drop Mags are the best I have seen or used for hunting. The HS is not compatible with M5, they will fit standard BDL.