Need help with choosing barrel contour

yotehunter24

I'm building a 264 win Mag on a savage 110 action. My plan is to build a long range carry rifle. I'm going to be using it for long range steel targets and coyotes, antelope, mule deer, caribou and elk. So the rifle will be packed around a lot. My stock is a Stockade sporter style with a beaver tail forend that weighs about 35OZ. I have a Vortex Viper HS-T 4×16-44mm for glass. While they are waiting on my reamer I have began to second guess my original plan of a standard sporter contour that will finish at .650 at the muzzle at 26". Now my last build was a 6×284 Norma with a 27" light palma Benchmark barrel and I felt it was to heavy as a carry rifle and felt heavy to swing so I sold it.

So with that all said what would you recommend for a carry/mountain rifle barrel contour? I'm using Black Hole Weaponry barrel and it will finish at 26" with a 8 twist to shoot the 140 gr Amax.

my brother and I are both building 7mm's (7stw for me and 280ai for him) and are using #5 contour barrels... I'm going shilen and he's going brux.... we hunt the badlands so neither of us wants to go past 10#...

I just finished a similar build, went with a 4.1 contour from Broughton. Their site says .660 at 28 inches. I had mine cut to 26 inches and it measures .681 at the muzzle. That seems to split the difference between most barrel makers 4 and 5 contours.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.