Need help choosing barrel contour

Fumedo

Hi
I'm gonna have my first custom rifle build by Pete Lincoln Roedale Precision - English Craftsmanship Made in Germany . It's gonna be a .300 WSM hunting rifle and that's what i wanna use:

-Borden Alpine Action with Jewell RHTS
-Manners MCS-T ultralight stock
-Zeiss 6-24x56
-Lothar Walther barrel

Weight should be less than 11lbs scoped. The scope weights 1.8lbs.

Only thing I'm not sure of is what Barrel contour to choose either #2100 light weight varmint not fluted or #3100 light weight target fluted. I'm tending to a 25" length quite uncommon :D but seems to me a good compromise between velocity and handiness? Altough Pete tends to a 24"

Barrel contours:

Do you think the 2100 is too small? And what do you think will be the weight difference if the 3100 is fluted and the 2100 not? How much weight reduction do you get with a fluted barrel?

Any help would be appreciated cause I'm quite new to custom rifles and stuff :eek:.

welcome to our forum,congrats on your new custom rifle, with respect i'd change one thing your barrel choice. they charge way to much coin for what you get, my i advise you look into Border-barrels their match grade CUT-RIFLED 5R...1-10 OR1-11 TWIST....flutting your barrel will make it 1/2 to 3/4 pound lighter.... if you go to heavy you''ll not hunt with it much,everything a compremize,i'd go 26 inch my self your action is short,ive seen some of pete's work you will be very happy,buy the best you can afford,cry once,and never replace anything!!! keep us posted! Regards

Weight

Hm ok actually I'm tending to the #3100 do you think it'll make the rifle too heavy? That's the weight i figured out so far:

Action 1.6 lbs
Barrel 3100 fluted 4 lbs
Manners MCS-T Ultralight 2.1lbs
Magazine Bedding and trigger 0.7lbs

Which would make the rifle about 8.4 lbs. With Optics +1.8 scope + 0.7 Rings and Base. That would make the rifle About 11 lbs do you think that's to heavy? And is the calculation right? :eek:

Would the #2100 still make it a good long range rifle?

your weight is rite, for the #3100.
but the choice is still yours, the heavy barrel will heat up slower,but you still have to haul it on your back,i had a target 308 win made its 10.5 lbs w-out scope 13.5 with, hunted with it once and walked 1.5 miles one way,yes they are heavy. the #2100 would work just fine. good luck on your project, regards

Lilja

Thanks for your input so far!

I just found this rifle 300 RUM A-Bolt, McMillan Stock, Lilja #5 :eek:. The Barrel is a Lilja #5 and that contour looks pretty much like it would fit perfectly my needs. Looks like a great Barrel.

Maybe a stupid question but hows the quality of Liljas barrels? Excellent better than LW i think?

Maybe a stupid question but hows the quality of Liljas barrels?

Liljas are top tier. They have button-pulled rifling (as opposed to cut rifling), which is a preference thing with some people, but they are definitely right up on the top of the heap with the other top few barrel makers.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.