Suppressor Help: Barrel Contour

nksmfamjp

So, we have all heard that when running a suppressor that a shorter barrel helps. If I understand right, that is due to balance and overall rifle weight, right?

What about contour? Does a rifles accuracy benefit from running a larger contour with a suppressor? Is this measurable? Does this answer change if running a CF barrel?

So, we have all heard that when running a suppressor that a shorter barrel helps. If I understand right, that is due to balance and overall rifle weight, right?

What about contour? Does a rifles accuracy benefit from running a larger contour with a suppressor? Is this measurable? Does this answer change if running a CF barrel?
When it comes to suppressors your rifle gets real long quickly, anything over 20-22" isn't fun with a can in my experience.

When it comes to contour there's no accuracy benefit with shorter barrels using a #2 or #3.
I have an 18" tikka factory contour flared up to .730 at the muzzle for my DT suppressor. I've shot a 2.5" group at 1000 yards with it.
20220118_162629.jpg

I just picked up my first suppressor a few days ago. It is relatively light but 7" long. I screwed it on a couple of my rifles to get a sense of how it affected balance and handling. No real issue jumped out at me. Time will tell when hunting on the possible length issues. I am using 24" Sendero contour barrels on two rifles (one CF and one steel). The other rifle I tried was a 22" sporter contour barrel. I can tell you that the look and feel of the 22" is just goofy to me. I think the perfect combination would be a Sendero contour CF in 20-22". My POI change with a 24" Sendero CF was minimal.

I only run a suppressor on four rifles. Three sporter and a HB. I see no difference in group sizes on any of them. Mine are full length 22", 24", 26" as I have no interest in loosing velocity. Yes they get noticeably barrel tip heavy, and I adjust and change slings to help. If hiking very far I just take it off, and run the risk I will have to shoot without it.

What people miss a lot in the Contour and Can conversation is barrel harmonics. Hanging a big heavy object of the tip of an Ultralight sporter barrel will likely have a negative impact on your accuracy and certainly induce a poa/poi shift. The lighter the profile, the more dramatic the effect. Shorter barrels by physics will have less whip and flex to them, this can for sure cover some of the ill effects of a super light contour barrel with a can.

Weight of the can, length of the can, contour of the barrel and length of the barrel are all variables here. Best harmonics will be from short, fat barrels with with a short, light can. Worst harmonics will be from a long, light Contour barrel with a long, heavy can. If you reload, expect to have to rework your load as well depending on how high backpressure of a can you are using.

What people miss a lot in the Contour and Can conversation is barrel harmonics. Hanging a big heavy object of the tip of an Ultralight sporter barrel will likely have a negative impact on your accuracy and certainly induce a poa/poi shift. The lighter the profile, the more dramatic the effect. Shorter barrels by physics will have less whip and flex to them, this can for sure cover some of the ill effects of a super light contour barrel with a can.

Weight of the can, length of the can, contour of the barrel and length of the barrel are all variables here. Best harmonics will be from short, fat barrels with with a short, light can. Worst harmonics will be from a long, light Contour barrel with a long, heavy can. If you reload, expect to have to rework your load as well depending on how high backpressure of a can you are using.
Not true in reality! Theoretically maybe and darn sure not an absolute on accuracy. On every rifle I have ever shot with a suppressor on it from mine to my friends. Only change we have seen is POI with it on or not. Some are 6" different and some are 1" different with the same group size. Just my experience yours may differ.

Not true in reality! Theoretically maybe and darn sure not an absolute on accuracy. On every rifle I have ever shot with a suppressor on it from mine to my friends. Only change we have seen is POI with it on or not. Some are 6" different and some are 1" different with the same group size. Just my experience yours may differ.
I agree. I've seen improvements in accuracy just by screwing on a can. Do your load development with a can and get the contour that works best for you.