Need help for 300 RUM topper!

jayjay24

Ok so I know this thread has probably been beaten to death but here goes anyway. I need some suggestions on what to put on top of my Surgeon .300 RUM. I've loaded 200 gr Nosler Accubonds at 3076 fps. I had a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 with custom turret on it to get me by for a little while but it's time now to give this rifle what she needs. This will be a hunting rifle 90% of the time and currently weighs about 9 pounds unscoped. I'd like to stay under $2000 if possible. Thanks for the comments...

Used S&B or Kahles.
A 9# rifle is no lightweight to begin with. Don't worry about an extra 8-10oz for the scope weight. 25 vs 35oz won't be a deal breaker.

I have a Premier Heritage 5-25×56 on my heavy (13.8#) .300RUM and love it. I push a 230 Hybrid @ 3068 in mine.

what the Vortex razor? It has 125moa I believe but could be wrong tho. Or the PST GENII as well.

Used S&B or Kahles.
A 9# rifle is no lightweight to begin with. Don't worry about an extra 8-10oz for the scope weight. 25 vs 35oz won't be a deal breaker.

I have a Premier Heritage 5-25×56 on my heavy (13.8#) .300RUM and love it. I push a 230 Hybrid @ 3068 in mine.

You like FFP scopes on a hunting rifle?

VX-6HD in 3-18x50mm or 4-24x52mm
Glass is better the NXS in clarity & low light, tracks great, light weight.
I have not compared it directly against my March but it's real close, and less money. "Clicks" on the VX-6 are soft but track well, zero stop is very nice too.

VX-6HD in 3-18x50mm or 4-24x52mm
Glass is better the NXS in clarity & low light, tracks great, light weight.
I have not compared it directly against my March but it's real close, and less money. "Clicks" on the VX-6 are soft but track well, zero stop is very nice too.
Yep I've seriously looked at this scope hard. I just don't care for the "hole" in the middle of the TMOA reticle and they got ride of the Windplex Firedot as well...

You like FFP scopes on a hunting rifle?
I absolutely do. With the exception of my rimfire squirrel rifles, all of the scopes I own are FFP "tactical" type scopes. I prefer them, as I hold for wind, dial for elevation. Really easy when 2 MIL is 2 MIL whether I am on 3x, 7.2x 12x, 18.5x or 25x. I made 1st round hits on two coyotes at 1365 by dialing elevation and holding 2.5 MIL for wind when set on 17x in my 5-25×56 Premier.

Too bad you missed teh sale on Eurooptic, they had a run of Swarovski demo X5 scopes for sale. You would've been able to get the X5i 5-25 or 3-18 for just over 2k. I snagged one of the 5-25 and it is phenomenal. Def work 2k

Too bad you missed teh sale on Eurooptic, they had a run of Swarovski demo X5 scopes for sale. You would've been able to get the X5i 5-25 or 3-18 for just over 2k. I snagged one of the 5-25 and it is phenomenal. Def work 2k

Dang I would've jumped at that...

yeah, I would look at a used March 3-24 or the Kahles k624i. both are very good scopes that are reasonable in weight. the kahles glass is nice and bright. I have both scopes, the march on my 6.5 saum and the kahles on my 300 RUM. for a long range rifle (hunting or target) I def want one that I can dial, so the tactical style suits me fine

yeah, I would look at a used March 3-24 or the Kahles k624i. both are very good scopes that are reasonable in weight. the kahles glass is nice and bright. I have both scopes, the march on my 6.5 saum and the kahles on my 300 RUM. for a long range rifle (hunting or target) I def want one that I can dial, so the tactical style suits me fine
I've got scope that would be excellent on your 300. I have a Nightforce NXS 3-18x50 MOA I bought a week ago. NIB, reason for sale you ask is I just did a impulse buy on a rifle so to make the purchase easier on my wallet I'll be putting the scope up for sale. how about $1575 + $15 shipping. The purchase was from Eurooptic.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts