need advice before i purchase

savmeister

I am currently shopping for a .300 wsm. I was originally very interested in ruger's new frontier rifle,admittedly only due to its impressive look. However the design worries me. It is a very short rifle at under 36 inches and the barrel is only 16 1/2 inches. i have not been able to find anyone with first hand knowledge of this gun. Now I am leaning toward a winchester .300 wsm model 70 coyote. If someone can push me some direction I would appreciate it.

The ruger with a 16.5 inch barrel would be a waste of time. The wsm case needs at least 24 inch barrel to utilize the case captivity. I have had very favorable results with factory savage wsm,s. Hope that helps Reed

My advice is 12BVSS Savage 300 WSM 10 twist 26 inch barrel IMHO best chance at getting a great long range shooter out of the box. For a short range deer rifle pick whichever is the most pleasing to your eyes!

the light ruger will be a real bruiser for your shoulder, and probably will not shoot as well as the longer barrelled rifles at medium to long ranges.

Hard to know where to start? Those two examples are so different that a body would need to know a lot more about your application. What sort of hunting did you have in mind? Are you into the Scout concept, or what? The Ruger should prob. be chambered in 358 or 350 Rem.

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.