Need Advice and WTB: 6.5x284 Norma dies & brass

ForgivenAll

I'm building a 6.5x284 Norma on a budget using an old Savage 112.

I'm looking for advice on which dies to get. A 2-die Neck Sizer from Redding, RCBS, Forster, etc.??? Is it worth the extra to get a Micrometer? (I have a comparator and caliper. ???)

What have you found is the best value for brass (Norma, Lapua, Nosler, etc.)???

If someone is selling these components, I might be interested.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Redding 3 die set, FL, Neck. and seat. Works well. I haven't used the micrometer set up yet, so can't really comment there. As for the brass, I use the Lapua, I can't complain there. It seems to be of good quality, and very workable.

I use the Competition Redding S(bushing), dyes. I have both neck, and FL, but use the FL most of the time. You don't need the Micro for the sizing dye, but it can be very convenient to get the micrometer for the seating dye. You will do a lot of seating depth work to optimize you loads. Lapua brass, hands down. Necks, number of reloads, and overall quality is perfect. With this brass, and Berger 140's, Sierra, V-Max, and an unturned neck, I use a ..292/.293 bushing size. The outside neck diameter of a sized, unloaded case should be around .292".

I purchased Lapua brass for mine and it has shown to be the best brass I have ever used so far. Great value.
At the time all I could find was Redding 2 die NK sizer. I ran with that and it worked good for about 4 reloads then I had to have something to bump the shoulder back, so I purchased the Forster FL sizer. Both quality pieces of equipment. As a side note, if a set of the Hornady CGND had been available at the time, I would have purchased those instead. Not sure it matters with this particular caliber, it's just that accurate.
I have a stock Savage model 12 BVSS in 6.5-284Norma that I really enjoy. It has been phenomenal. The first 3-shot group (bullets 3,4 & 5) out of this barrel shot a .327. I traded the BVSS stock for a VLP stock with another forum member and like it even better.
I haven't tried the 140/142's in it yet but the 100, 120's and 130's have not let me down. Powder's I've tried with great accuracy; RL25, RL22, RL17, IMR4831, H4350, AA3100 - no longer available :( . Magpro did not shine in this rifle.
Good luck with your build and keep us up to speed. JohnnyK.

Just puchase a Redding full length die, then a competetion necksizer 2 die set with the type S bushing neck die and micrometer seater die, you will also need a .291, .292, and .293" bushing to get the right neck tension. Lapua brass is great, if you can't find Norma is also very good. This setup is if you want the best accuracy/consistancy, you can get away with just a standard Redding 3 die set or even a RCBS 2 die set but they will not give the greatest results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.