need a stopper

My polymyositis keeps making me weaker, I love to hog hunt in Central Texas. I have a 300 RSAUM, It's a sweet shooter. Except for brain shots the hogs run a bit. I am thinking an Alaskan brush Savage in 375 RCM so I dont have to chase them down. All ideas welcome.

Your Pal,
Texas Hill Country Tom

My polymyositis keeps making me weaker, I love to hog hunt in Central Texas. I have a 300 RSAUM, It's a sweet shooter. Except for brain shots the hogs run a bit. I am thinking an Alaskan brush Savage in 375 RCM so I dont have to chase them down. All ideas welcome.

Your Pal,
Texas Hill Country Tom

I to don't like tracking hogs so this is the way I went.

Bolt action = 338 RCM (A 325 WSM necked up to 338 ) factory ammo is available. I built mine on a mod 7 Remington for a handy/compact carry and it will roll them shot behind the shoulder.

AR15 = For fast follow up shots I went with the 450 bushmaster. It uses a 250 grain bullet @ over
2200 ft/sec for almost 2800 ft/lbs energy. I have a green illuminator laser for night hunting and
this thing is a hammer.

I was tired of having to make head shots (Especially Running) and have been very happy with
these two rifle combinations.

J E CUSTOM

I've used the 375 calibers from the 375 Winchester up with good results on bear. Back when we could bait the kids used a #3 in the 375 Winchester, dead in, or close to the bait was the norm.
The 35 Whelen, or one of the 44 magnum carbines, also worth a look. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts