bullet trap, bullet stopper, hanging target specs needed

NewB7654

I'd like Specs and ideas to make a bullet trap and bullet stopper hanging targets.

I've seen many threads about bullet stops and traps but not the specs I'm looking for. I'll be making the simplest trap, a sheet of metal (3'x3') at an angle, which leads to my 1st question.
What's the right or best angle for this type of trap?
I've read less than 30 degrees and I've seen many posting a standard 45 degree angle is fine.

Weight wont be an issue, I have a tractor to move it but we shoot a 7mm mag, 300 win mag etc from 100 yards to almost 1000 yards. I want the bullets to hit the metal and be deflected down to the ground.

How thick of steel would be assured to stop the bullets?
I'll be going to metal scrap yard so I doubt they'll have hardened steel.

Moving on to the hanging steel targets - How thick should the steel be (if hanging at a 90 degree angle to impact) to stop those bullets from passing through?

Last edited:
The best and safest bullet containment traps are decreasing radius scroll designs (similar to the compressor scroll section in a turbocharger). I know they are commercially available. Far as gage of steel, that will depend on the entrance curvature, distance from muzzle and caliber.

Thanks. That may be the best, may be the safest but that's not what I'm making and didn't really answer my questions.

I had a 1 inch thick mild steel plate at 600 yards, it's set so that my bullets hit it straight on. My 300 win mag with 168 gr berger hunting bullets will blow a crater in it just shy of 1/2 way through. I have gone to 1/2 inch ar 500 steel plates and from 300 yards and out all it does is blow the paint off, just repaint and you can't even tell it was hit before. If your concerned about bullet splatter, a friend of mine hangs his plates inside of old tires (tractor tires for the bigger long range plates). ??????? hope this helps

Here's my design.

1/2" AR 500 at 45 degrees over a 12" deep pan with sand in it. You can mount wheels on it if you want to move it. If you want to assure no one shots it when your not around, maybe a couple of hinges on the back so you can lower the top onto the pan. Make sure front lip of pan is behind something, from a 45 degree deflector up to a railroad tie to absorb the bullet, just no ricochet.

So, pull it to where you want. lift top with tractor to 45 and chain up from behind. Hang your targets inside lid. Occasionally mine the pan for lead. Close top when not shooting.

See, easy. And probably heavy, as well. But all your bullets stay inside.

Just no 50 cal AP rounds please. And I would be leary of 416 and 408 solids. Especially at 100 yards, and maybe as far as 1000 for some rounds. Everything else should splash inside.

Larry
Tinkerer

Thanks for the input. Like I said, I'll be starting at the scrap yard. Sounds like, at least 1" thick mild steel will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.