Need a little advice here, OK?

royinidaho

If I'd of known then what I know now I wouldn't have this problem. Duh!!!

Scope will be installed on a 10.5 pound 338 Win Mag shooting 250 grain bullets @ at least 2800 FPS. And a BRAKE is installed which seems to be the real limiting condition.
The only constraint for purchase is $ and its gotta have a mil-dot ret. (Can't handle the click thing quite yet)

I'm looking at the following in random order:
a) USS Xotic - Best warranty, way big, way heavy and $800
b) IOR 16X42 MP-8 I like the MP-8 ret. and the >5 MOA $900
c) Super Sniper 16X42 - Have a 10X SS on an unbraked 270 and really like it. I know they use in on the 50s but,??? $299

Question: WILL the SS stand up to the brake beating? or what would an intelligent fella do?

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Roy

if you like the dot system because you don't like to crank the turrets.and you're buying a new scope.buy one from premier reticles.take your gun with your loads,preferably at a medium range hunting temperature,and make a drop chart.give this info to Dick and he will put dots in the scope to match your load.he did this for me and it works like a charm.i don't know how far you want to shoot but if it's under a half mile this system will work.temperature differences from when you made your drop chart can cause this to vary a little but with extreme powders and a little practice this works very well.as a foot note he will only do this with a leupold scope.

XOTIC has the best lens retention system; placed in mounts and then screwed into place with 3 screws 120 degrees apart, securing the entire lens mount, for each lens.
IOR has bright glass and great adjustments, hard to make a bad choice when buying IOR.
The SS scope has a track record better than most name brand scopes
I finally killed one after 50,000 rounds, actually just wore it out dialing firing solutions.
I've had it on a 9 pound unbraked 338 lapua, thrown it off a 36 foot tower, shot a group ( several dozen groups) by shooting a round, throwing the scoped rifle to the ground forcefully, ( enough to actually shear off the Harris bipod attached to the rifle) then shooting another, etc. Never broke one that way or had one shift zero.
Have done the same thing with the XOTIC.
My IOR stayed on the unbraked 338 lapua until I sold the entire thing, and it survived nicely.

Hoodcounty,

You have a habit of rifle abuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

All three will work fine on your set up with the propermounting system which I think you have gotten figured out.

The USS as you know is a very large scope. Its heavy and long and requires tall mounting systems. The quality and strength seem to be there. I had one on my 338 Kahn for quite a bit of shooting this spring and summer and it performed very well except at its very top elevation adjustment where it became very erratic but that is common with any scope.

This was also at 2200 yards as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

I do not have experience with that specific IOR scope but I have shot enough to know they will handle what you are going.

The SS is really a wonderful little scope for the money. The reason it can handle large amounts of recoil is its simple design. Complicated scopes are mor likely to fail then simple scopes. As such, it costs alot more money to build a variable that will handle heavy recoil then it is a fixed power scope.

It probably does not have the clearity of the other two scopes but it is plenty clear for any field use. It also has much more vertical adjustment then the IOR and about the same as the USS which both are nearly the same as the best Nightforce scopes in vertical adjustment.

Before the USS, the SS was on my 338 Kahn and then on my LAR Grizzly 50 BMG and performed very well out to one mile on the 338 Kahn and when tested to 1000 yards on the 50BMG. That scope actually played the roll of test scope for my customers heavy kickers which have ranged from ultra light 338 WMs to 9 lb 375 Ultras, all fitted with Holland brakes. It never failed to hold tight groups or produce consistant click values. And once zeroed the little low priced scope simply stayed put!!

I think I will be buying another for the same use.

For the money you can hardly go wrong. THey are very stout, consistant, accurate and best of all, very light for a 30mm scope. This is also key in getting the scope to stay put in the rings. It can also be mounted very low for great shooter comfort.

If money is a concern, the SS would be very hard to beat. If your willing to spend $800 to $1K, the Leupold Mk4 in the 3.5-10x 40mm would also be very hard to beat as they will run around $850 with the TMR reticle which I personally feel is one of the best reticles on the market after the M-8 and NP-R2.

In my opinion, the ultimate for your needs may be the Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm TMR reticle in the new First Focal Plane model. These will run you around $1K if you can find them but they would be great offering the same benefits of the USS but in a lighter, shorter scope.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks a bunch for all the input.

If I'd of known then what ya'll posted now I wouldn't be in this pickle.

If I'd of know there would be a brake in the future. If I'd of known a bunch of stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

End this thread. I'm ready for the next scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby,

I have this curiosity...............................
Everyone makes claims about how tough their gear is but noone wants to trust their stuff. You read all the time on various boards about guys who dropped their gear at the range and are concerned about damage they may have done , past cosmetic stuff.

There's two ways to find out, one is to understand that most name brand optics and mounts on the market today will hold up to worse abuse than the owner.
The other way of course is for some guy like me to go and find out. Heck it's just money ( Gulp! ).

I'd certainly want to have that information well before spending 10 grand on that once in a lifetime hunt.and having my horse fall on the rifle.

Mike
Granbury, Tx

Hoodcounty,

Point taken but as a gunsmith, the idea of a rifle being intentionally dropped from a 30ft tower keeps me up at night in a cold sweat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.