Ok Guys I need your advice

Not knowing what you're hunting or where I'm hesitant to offer a general purpose suggestion. I'm 60 and settled on a VX3i 4.5-14X40 at 13 ounces on a Weatherby Mk V Backcountry in 6.5 Weatherby RPM. I hunt the Intermountain west for elk, mulies and speed goats. Hope that provides additional food for thought.

I have been on a similar search for my Kimber 84m that's a small action. Started with an Athlon BTR FFP 2.5-15 and ~28oz. Put a Hawke Frontier FFP 4-20 ~22oz on last year and like it better (mil only though). I'd really like to get a March when I can find the right deal but they are are more pricy. All mine are mil. I'd learn mil and not look back.

Last edited:
I have a Mk V leupold 3.6 x 44 I have a Mil/FFP version on this scope, have gone to FFP on all of my scopes, and MOA on most of my scopes now, I get it being 64 the lighter weight options on all my gear is of interest. As far as the reticles have an impact 60 MOA that I like the best on my leupold vx3- Long range, this scope is outside of your range of magnification. There are lighter weight options on scopes, but my opinion on the weight issue, what is the purpose and what can you live with? I have found that the heavier scopes I would get in the future right now are outside of the light weight range. I tried to do the one purpose rifle in the past, but halted the attempt, in the future may make another attempt at it. My bucket list of hunting trips decided to go with heavier calibers for dangerous game, although I may make one of these into a light weight option in the future. I will keep following your post and see what you come up with for light weight options.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope FFP Mil-Quad, 1/10 MIL Clicks, 5 MIL Revolution 24oz. Only issue is that it is not an MOA scope, but if you can get year head around a base 10 system (basically metric), than you are good to go. Pros: very robust, have pretty good glass, and are well under your price range. If not that, I'd be looking at NF. Might be bit more heavy, but the glass is very good and they are really well built.

12.7 OZ's Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 It is a MOD7, no need to put a big scope on a light compact rifle.
I am 65 and hunt some tough vertical country, my 7lb 4oz REM 700 270 has a Swaro 3-9X32 on it and it works great out to 400 yards. Another consideration is FFP, thinking that puts you at a 30mm tube. Just my opinion but 30mm tube and light weight are mutually exclusive. Best of luck in your search.

12.7 OZ's Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 It is a MOD7, no need to put a big scope on a light compact rifle.
I am 65 and hunt some tough vertical country, my 7lb 4oz REM 700 270 has a Swaro 3-9X32 on it and it works great out to 400 yards. Another consideration is FFP, thinking that puts you at a 30mm tube. Just my opinion but 30mm tube and light weight are mutually exclusive. Best of luck in your search.
I tend to agree w/73Driver. Big glass on a trim, light right doesn't add up for me either.

I'd second a vote for the newest LHT. I only have the 3-15 SFP model but am very happy with it. I found it to be superior to the VX-5 but your mileage may vary, a ton of guys absolutely love those too. Probably can't go wrong with either

Hell John, your the same age as I am, and if you are like me, your eyes aint what they used to be. lol. I just put a new Vortex HD LHT 4.5-25x50. XLR-2 reticle. 21.7 oz. This is the second one I've bought, both are excellent scopes, clear glass, light weight. I would prefer a smaller profile on a hunting gun ( 40 to 44 MIL) but I mounted it on a 6mm creedmoor build because...
1. Its big and bright and gathers lots of light.
2. I can utilize the reticle in this gun, I like to dial elevation if possible but if Im pressed for time I'll hold over.
3. weight is nice for what you get.
4. warranty, doesn't get any better.

Hope this helps.

My mark 5 3.6-18 weighs 26oz. I don't know what light weight means to you but FFP, MOA, good reticle…not many out there in that price range lighter than 26oz
I'll second the Leupold VX-5 but would recomend the 2-10 model.

Another vote for the newer Vortex LHT in FFP, I think it would really shine in your intended application. I have the older SFP and love it other than the stupid illumination button.