• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED need a 7mm dakota reamer

paste

i need a 7mm dakota reamer with throat for 180gr berger vld. i need it ASAP

can anyone help me out???

Have a Brand New PTG reamer, never used with bushing pilot.

Reamer is a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag though. Standard throat. Likely would be fine for your
bullet application, but not optimized for it.

Nice option and more readily available brass, no boltface mod necessary
unless you're not starting with a .533 boltface to begin with...

$95 shipped.
Can mail tomorrow if you can use paypal (+3.25%)

Paste,

You might want to reconsider.

Miracles do happen, but you are really seeking a one in ten trillion trifecta if expect the berger optimized Dakota reamer to turn up.

Barnes 3 has the Dakota dimensions and Sierra 5 has the .338rum which is parent case for the 7mm if not mistaken.

You get a bit more capacity and longer neck with the rum. The rum is .006 wider case-body and .3" longer to shoulder. Rum is .26" longer overall.

I've owned a .338rum and .300rum. Brass is pretty thick on the rum cases.

Think you wind up with more going RUM. Brass more readily available, loaded ammunition too, die sets don't cost hundreds and no gunsmithing to an oddball .545" boltface. Rum uses .533 like any belted magnum. Could probably just "improve" any 7mm Rem Mag chamber and call it a day.

If going with a large case variant might look at the new Norma mag case. At least a .590 boltface has many fine ctgs it can work with compared to the .545.

I would opt for brass that is halfway available, cheap, and so many other reasons to choose rum. Of course, you have your reasons; but when the glitter is off the new prize and you think of other options for rebarreling, that .545 boltface won't shim down to a .533 so your are stuck in the Dakota family for life or hopefully have enough bolt material to get a .588 or .590 out of it for another couple hundred of shop work....

Good luck with your plans..

I have a 7mm Dakota Imp reamer that is at Straight Shot Gunsmithing in ND which is being used to chamber a build I have going. If interested email me at [email protected]. It is basically very close to a 7mm Rem Mag in body length, has a 33% shoulder, .30 neck.

what is the difference between the improved and the regular 7mm dakota case??
i already have one rifle in 7mm dakota and i love it so much i am having a lighter version built but the smith i am using doesnt have a 7mm dakota reamer. worst case is i will order a reamer if i dont find one here.

but i am interested in the improved version.. how much of an advantage is it over the normal case? is the neck the only difference because the length and shoulder angle mentioned seem to be the same as my normal 7mm dakota

The body length is longer than the standard case. Water case capacity goes from 89 to 99 grains according to Quick Design. This is a new design and has not been tested. I hope to be around 3100 with a 180 VLD. Respond back to my email address I gave you and I will send you the shop drawing of the case. I cannot get it to load on this site. Have a funeral to go attend so I have to run for now.

Just an observation, but aside from "cool/kewl factor" what does Improved 7mm Dakota offer over a 7mm Ultra Mag?

Lots of standard chamberins will get you 3100 W/180gr... Of course, the 7mm/300wby has a belt...
7mm STW same deal. Would bet you the 7mm/300win would deliver also, but it's belted.

7mm ultra mag has the standard 30deg shoulder, and over 100gr capacity. After the throat goes in 500/600rds can ream it to 7mm Edge and enjoy the last hurrahs of your barrel.

Love them Dakotas, but have to shop here for a reamer you will never find???
**** son, you need to be ordering barrels in the plural and maybe a rougher/finisher set... Blasting away with 90gr or 100gr loads makes quick work of barrel throats, but life is too short, eh?

Also best be buying large lots of brass. I betcha that Dakota stuff is now about as rare as lazzeroni items.

You might look at interpolating the data on 7mm rem mag & .30-338 at same bullet weights and then look at the .300win case. Plenty 180gr and several 175s there. Give you a good clue what you could expect from 7mm/300win. Realize you are hooked on Dakota but there is little reason to opt against efficiency, barrel length and better brass availability if they can work for you...

Have fun with your project and best of luck getting your reamer on the way!

the reason i am stuck on the regular 7mm dakota is i already have one. i cant shoot the 180's in it without seating the bullets way down in the case.
over the last year or so i have been purchasing parts to build another one because i like the round but this time i am going to have the barrel throated for the 180's,
i have had the dies for the last couple of years and i have plenty of brass which isnt hard to find because midway usa stocks it and i can also purchase it from dakota arms.
i thought i would throw the idea of finding a reamer on this sight because i know there are a few people on here that shoots the 7mm dakota, if no one has one then i will order one from pacific t&g
all the parts head to the gunsmith this coming thursday so it looks like i will just order one and go from there

One thing I have noticed is everyone has their on thoughts and opinion about everything. Yes the 7mm Dakota Imp will probably not do anything that the 7mm RUM will, but that is yet to be seen because right now it has not been tested. However what ever it does it will do it with a lot less powder.

I have more than 35 years of experience in reloading and have had and shot many different calibers from 22PPC to 30-338 Lapua Imp. I have also built more than 20 custom rifles and accurized 100's for myself and others. I shot for several years in Bench Rest competition. So basically what I am saying is I have considerable experience in various calibers and their performance. When I decide on a new caliber there is a reason and that reason comes from many hours of research. My research produced the design for the 7mm Dakota Improved.

With the Dakota 2.50 case length you can design your throat for even the 200 GR Wildcat bullet and still have room in your mag box. Because of this you can also use detachable magazines. Also look at what is setting and breaking all the long range records. Needless to say it is not 7mm RUMS. It is shorter larger diameter case designs like 7WSM, 6mmBR, etc. and that is another reason for the 7mm Dakota. Like I said I have shot many calibers and it is my opinion that the case designs like the 7WSM and 7MM Dakota are just more efficient and accurate. All the other cases 7mm-300WTHBY, 7MM STW, 7MM RUM are to long which cause bullet seating issues and also only the 7 RUM will run with this Dakota Improved case.

Brass is very easy to find and the brass I have purchased was very consistent. You basically prep your brass and turn the necks, fill the case with trailboss, stuff a patch in the case throat, fire and your ready to go. This is going to be a Long Range Rifle. The action is a Stiller TAC 300, Krieger LV Fluted 8.5 Twist Barrell, McMillian Game Scout Stock, Jewell Trigger and a SSG Vaporizer Brake. I do all the smithing except for the chamber job. I have my parts at Straight Shot Gunsmithing now and expect to have them back and finish the bedding, stock work, gun-kote and assembly before the end of the month if things go as planned.

I just sold a 30-338 Lapua Imp. that I built that would shoot all day long in the mid 3s. It would push a 210 VLD over 3,400 but my load was at 3,225. At 700 yds the 7mm Dakota Imp. catches up with the 30-338 and at 1100 yds it passes it and I am sure it will be more accurate. The 7mm bullet also has less wind drift and will do all this with 15 grains less of powder in a 26 inch barrel.

Well this is my spill for the 7mm Dakota Improved. Personally I had rather have the standard 7MM Dakota over the 7RUM and the other cases that was mentioned. But that is why all these different calibers exist. Every ones likes and wants are different, just like opinions.

I am with the Dakota crew.

I wanted roughly 90-95 gr. water capacity, NO BELT, allows me to seat a Berger 180 out of the powder column but still fit in a standard 3.650" magazine, and gives me a minimum 3,000 fps with the Berger 180 (I wanted 3,100 fps but not all barrels allow that). The dakota fell into the capacity range, the seated COAL length I was looking for, and does not have a belt.

My particular 7 Dakota (not a fully improved version) has 92.1 gr. water capacity with this lot of brass from a fired case, but is tight necked for a 0.013 neck.

Jeffvn

Jeffvn,

Just curious as to what powders you have tried and your barrel length? You can usually get good velocity with Retumbo and also be able to go over published max loads. Just be sure and check for all the pressure signs as you go up in powder capacity.

I have a stock 7mm Rem Mag Tikka that I have pillar bedded in the factory stock and am getting 3,030 with 168 VLDs out of a 24 inch barrel using Retumbo. Powder charge is over book max, but the pressure signs are minimum. This rifle is amazing how it shoots. I have shot 3 shot groups in the 2's with the Retumbo and in the 1's with H1000. This rifle likes the loads at the top. The H1000 is just above max and shows a little more pressure than the Retumbo. It also is 130 FPS slower for some reason and the loading books and quick load shows it should be at 3,000. I have different primers loaded now to try in the H1000 and Retumbo loads to check my ES. Then I will decide on my load.

My point is that velocity is great to have but I had rather have accuracy and a low extreme velocity spread if shooting long distance. When you run the numbers 100 FPS does not make enough difference to worry about. The accuracy for the 7mm Tikka is great but when it comes to which powder load to use it will be determined by the ES. Yes I would like the 3,030 Retumbo load but if my ES is better with the H1000 that will be my load. A 30 ES difference is 4-5 inches difference in impact at a 1000 yds. so I had rather hit the vitals than miss and hit with just a little more energy.

I may not be able to get 3,100 out of my improved 7MM Dakota and so be it if I don't. When I sold the 30-338 Lapua Imp., I first was going to get my 30-338 reamer reground to a 7mm. But after I started researching all the 7mm cartridges and ran the numbers on them, I felt the 7MM Dakota was the best option. Sure a 7mm-338 Lapua Imp. would be a beast but it was just not worth it to me. I will never be shooting over 1200 yds and the 7MM Dakota will do that with a lot less powder, less recoil, better barrel life and probably better accuracy.

Recent Posts