Neck sizing ?

linksmechanic

I'm neck sizing w/ a f/l die set. I have never neck sized before so it's new to me. When your finished neck sizing does it partially size down the neck or all the way down to the start of the shoulder. I backed my f/l die 1 turn and my cases come out looking like there is a buldge about 3/4 of the way up the neck. It just looks like it only sizes part of the neck. Is this normal? I have never seen what a case looks like after it was neck sized.

you might want a little bit more of the neck sized than 3/4 just for the sake of more neck tension to hold the bullet but for the most part thats fine and what the false should that your seeing on the neck is doing is actualy helping the bullet get better aligned with the bore assuming that the chamber is cut strait.
if the rounds arn't getting bumped around much then the 3/4 would be fine.

My persoanly oppinion is to invest in a Lee collet die their only about $20 and then load great ammo without any lube and alot less case working.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.