neck size 280 & 280ai

Yes. Unless there is a reson to adjust the neck tension. Bullet dia. hasn't changed.

Think this is NOT accurate info...When you fire-form to an Ackley improved it blows the walls out and sharpens the shoulder angle to 40 degrees...

You can use a 280 Ackley Improved neck-sizer & seater die for regular .280 Remington...But you can't use a regular .280 Remington neck-sizer & seater die for .280 Ackley Improved. The Ackley Improved has blown out walls, whereas the Remington has alot heavier taper to the entire cartridge.

Thanks Mudrunner,
But if you reset your die to only neck size, or as he asked "a regular 280 neck sizer". The body or shoulder should not be effected using this die. But you are correct.

I have acomplished this with my 22-250 AI. Just using the NECK SIZE DIE.

Thanks Mudrunner,
But if you reset your die to only neck size, or as he asked "a regular 280 neck sizer". The body or shoulder should not be effected using this die. But you are correct.

Well, I know that RCBS dies are all cut to SAAMI spec. And they offer bothrfegular and Ackley dies...There has to be a reason, or else they would sell one die with the same part number for both calibers...But they're different.

The Ackley is wider at the shoulder be ause the walls get blown out with less taper than the .280 Rem. I have been told they won't fit.

Thanks Mudrunner,

With the Ackley you blow the case body out and move the shoulder forward changing the case body length and dia at the shoulders. I could be wrong for the 22-250/22050AI you increase body length .009" and your neck die may work also depends on how they headspace your AI.

With the 280AI they increase the case body length .098". If you can neck size then you should be able to seat a bullet. I was trying to find my Wilson neck die for the 280 but I found the seater and 280AI doesn't fit it take about 2/3 of the case.

My dies I can't do it.

With the Ackley you blow the case body out and move the shoulder forward changing the case body length and dia at the shoulders. I could be wrong for the 22-250/22050AI you increase body length .009" and your neck die may work also depends on how they headspace your AI.

With the 280AI they increase the case body length .098". If you can neck size then you should be able to seat a bullet. I was trying to find my Wilson neck die for the 280 but I found the seater and 280AI doesn't fit it take about 2/3 of the case.

My dies I can't do it.
That's exactly what I was trying to explain...Thank you for your help in my explaination.

Didn't realise there was that much difference. With the 250 my issue was pushing the shoulder down next to the neck, therefore collapsing the case a little. I'm ussing the Hornady Costom Die set, and after a little trial and opps. They all resize for me. Thanks for the pro. help gentelmen.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts