280AI Necked to 338 Neck Length Question

If the 338 Sherman can make use of RL-26, based on some very rough estimates, my best guess is the high accuracy node will come in around 2830 with the Berger 250, from a 26" barrel, which should give it very similar drop and drift numbers to the 215 Berger/300 Win Mag combination.

If that proves out, it would be pretty remarkable from a case in the -06 family.

RL-17 looks like it would still be the powder to beat with the lighter bullets. As you stated, the 200 grain class bullets look like they will run @ 3100 or so.

Well, I have had the flag thrown a couple of times, so this is good news:D The proof will still be in the magneto speed but I am expecting pretty amazing things from this cartridge. It will really open some doors for an '06 sized case that would perform at or above a factory loaded 338WM. I see some real possibilities for an elk, moose and even large bear round. I was not thinking of this as a long range round originally but with a 250 Berger and a G7 of .351, this thing will only need about 25+ moa at 1000 yards and will be packin' nearly 3/4 ton of energy!......Rich

Well, I have had the flag thrown a couple of times, so this is good news:D The proof will still be in the magneto speed but I am expecting pretty amazing things from this cartridge. It will really open some doors for an '06 sized case that would perform at or above a factory loaded 338WM. I see some real possibilities for an elk, moose and even large bear round. I was not thinking of this as a long range round originally but with a 250 Berger and a G7 of .351, this thing will only need about 25+ moa at 1000 yards and will be packin' nearly 3/4 ton of energy!......Rich

I'm Gathering Up Stuff: I can't decide if I'm going with:

1. MRC Mod70 LH
2. Mod70 LH
3. R700LH

Mainly because I'm having trouble finding a Mod70LH action by itself, the MRC is a 5-7mon the wait, & the R700 action is basically in the same ballpark $ wise, by the time it is ready to go.

In the Mean time,

What is the Preferred Brass?

I have some .270 Win Brass of all different makes, but if there is something more preferred, I'm all Ears.

What's the lead Time & $ for the dies?

Will the dies include whatever I need to resize .270/.280 Brass?

I wish there was a sticky for the 338 Sherman, & all other of Sherman's Shermans.

Thanks

I'm Gathering Up Stuff: I can't decide if I'm going with:

1. MRC Mod70 LH
2. Mod70 LH
3. R700LH

Mainly because I'm having trouble finding a Mod70LH action by itself, the MRC is a 5-7mon the wait, & the R700 action is basically in the same ballpark $ wise, by the time it is ready to go.

In the Mean time,

What is the Preferred Brass?

I have some .270 Win Brass of all different makes, but if there is something more preferred, I'm all Ears.

What's the lead Time & $ for the dies?

Will the dies include whatever I need to resize .270/.280 Brass?

I wish there was a sticky for the 338 Sherman, & all other of Sherman's Shermans. ��

Thanks

The preferred brass is 280 or 270 Norma IMO with RWS and maybe PRVI too.
I can have dies in 2 months and will likely have them in stock all the time anyway. ($260 includes shipping)
You would need some kind of 30 cal. expander to step up the 270. I have had good results by just going 30 and then to 338. Once you neck them to 338 you just load a bullet jammed into the lands and fire away. I usually reduce the load about 10% when doing this. There is more info on the 338 Sherman thread. It looks like at least 2850 will be possible with a 250 in a 24" barrel based on early testing where 2802' was reached without too much pressure....Rich

The preferred brass is 280 or 270 Norma IMO with RWS and maybe PRVI too.
I can have dies in 2 months and will likely have them in stock all the time anyway. ($260 includes shipping)
You would need some kind of 30 cal. expander to step up the 270. I have had good results by just going 30 and then to 338. Once you neck them to 338 you just load a bullet jammed into the lands and fire away. I usually reduce the load about 10% when doing this. There is more info on the 338 Sherman thread. It looks like at least 2850 will be possible with a 250 in a 24" barrel based on early testing where 2802' was reached without too much pressure....Rich

I need a bit of help selecting a .30 cal Expander-
Lyman Neck Expander M Die 30 Cal Long

Something like this?

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.