Neck expansion

Yes, separate.
Most FL dies way over cycle necks, and pulling expansion is worse for runout results.

I don't FL size, as I don't FL size necks.
Instead I use a Neil Jones hand decapper, custom Redding body die, Wilson bushing neck die, Sinclair mandrel expander die, and Wilson seating die. 5-step operation for me.

Yes, separate.
Most FL dies way over cycle necks, and pulling expansion is worse for runout results.

I don't FL size, as I don't FL size necks.
Instead I use a Neil Jones hand decapper, custom Redding body die, Wilson bushing neck die, Sinclair mandrel expander die, and Wilson seating die. 5-step operation for me.
By doing those 5 steps, what have you achieved that a simpler process does not...

I use honed neck FL dies that size the brass .002" under bullet diameter, then use a mandrel to get that spring back in control.
I have done away with bushings.
Most Neck/FL dies size the neck between .006"-.012". This is far too much work on your necks, you want .002"-.003" max.

Cheers.

By doing those 5 steps, what have you achieved that a simpler process does not...
1. Hand depriming and pocket/brass cleaning before carbon sets and cases go in any dies.
2. Custom body die sizes case bodies my desired amount. For me this is often shoulder bumping only, which still requires body support(slight squeeze).
3. Bushing die allows independent downsizing amount and length of NECK sizing. This is my tension setting and no more than seated bullet bearing. Inline dies remove shell holder/press/die threading misalignments.
4. Expander mandrel die reduces neck-born runout and establishes spring back inward(always opposite of last energy added).
5. Inline seating, less misalignment, less slop, easier to establish desired CBTO with less seating-born runout.

With these actions and many others I'm confident in reaching gold at the first Reloading Olympics!
Until then, and given all matters shooting related -I've 'achieved' nothing.
Yet the endeavor compels me....

Redding Type S FL sizing bushing die. Use expander or dont. The target knows the difference.

1 step and done.

Another vote here for running custom honed conventional Forster full length die without expander spindle. Forster recommends neck honing dimension to be 4-5thou less than outer neck diameter of loaded round and they do that service at their factory.

I then use separate Mandrel Die (by 21st Century in my case) to fine tune push that last thousanth out for neck diameter. This controls spring back as noted above, and results in very consistent finished neck diameter based on my pin gauge measurements.

P.S. - I also turn necks when I get new brass to get a consistent thickness - I use the Forster Original lathe attachment to do that. And I also anneal with every loading using salt bath method

Last edited:
On a serious note, yes, I removed the spindles from all of my Forster dies after having them honed and then use a mandrel from PMA Tool. I've found this practice, in my Co-Ax press yields very low runout consistently.

I tried using Redding completion dies with different bushing dies and had concentricity issues. Started full length sizing with Forster dies then using mandrels to control neck tension and concentricity got better. My sd/es got better as well. All of this boosted my confidence in my load, which probably helped with my shooting. This is the best thing I have done for my loading process hands down, the rest is just lagniappe.

My 7 rm and 300 wm both hold .25-.50 out to 700 with this method.

I use chargemaster and balance beam to check each load, so nothing too fancy for powder wt.

2 on left is 300 wm, 2 on right 7rm at 550 yards. My father shot all the other targets and I had to make do. 215 hybrids buck wind a little better than 175 elite hunters.

Attachments

• E3339304-DC39-4EEE-85F5-A0CFEDDC8104.jpeg
    E3339304-DC39-4EEE-85F5-A0CFEDDC8104.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 109
I do it as a separate step only because it makes seating the bullets easier. It also removes any burs left in the neck so it saves me time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.