Expansion test

You're both doing it wrong!

The bullet is supposed to be longer than the case:

View attachment 488033
If I can get my hands on some of their 1000 grain bullets, it will be longer than the case. The bullet is advertised as 2.5" long and the cases are 2.37". I was more than pleased the Lehigh subsonic fracturing bullets terminal performance. The pre-scoured petals on those (about the size of 4 x 90-100 grain .243 bullets) would cone out from the shank and absolutely devastate deer and hogs. If the Maker bullets don't have the terminal performance I want I may do some experimenting with them. Maybe scour a ring around the petals so they detach and/or drill the holes deeper. We shall see.

Think I'll try these on a deer this season.View attachment 487965
I built a 16" bolt action around the 500gr .458 Maker bullet chambered in 458 SOCOM. I shot one into water jugs, it destroyed the first 3 dramatically and stopped in the 5th. Looked pretty much like the OP's pics except the petals stayed nice and wide since they are thicker, delivered at 1050fps. Absolutely my woods gun this coming season.

I built a 16" bolt action around the 500gr .458 Maker bullet chambered in 458 SOCOM. I shot one into water jugs, it destroyed the first 3 dramatically and stopped in the 5th. Looked pretty much like the OP's pics except the petals stayed nice and wide since they are thicker, delivered at 1050fps. Absolutely my woods gun this coming season.
Sounds like a winner to me! Thanks for the input. I was really looking into building a .458 SOCOM, as my go to Lehigh .510 bullets were no longer available. Then I came across these Maker bullets, time for old Trusty Rusty (my old Savage) to go back to being big bore.