Nebraska muzzleloader tag!!!

ogallala_1

I have drawn a Nebraska tag. I would like to shoot a muzzleloader longish range. If you have experience in long range muzzle stuffing please point me in a good direction. I have an encore endeavor but I really don't think it is what I need.

thanks john

Do a search on this site for "long range muzzle loader". There are folks that do it here.
Good luck on your hunt!
This is mine from about 1995, using a TC Hawkin, 50 cal Green Mountain 24 twist barrel. 150 yards.
Anything is possible. I had to stalk him from 800 yards. My favorite hunt....

Attachments

• 20210712_101554.jpg
    20210712_101554.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 117
If I remember right Nebraska's ml regulations are pretty open be a perfect place for a custom smokeless ml in the right condition 4to500yard is doable and out to 350 is ez with a little practice

I have drawn a Nebraska tag. I would like to shoot a muzzleloader longish range. If you have experience in long range muzzle stuffing please point me in a good direction. I have an encore endeavor but I really don't think it is what I need.

thanks john
U sir are on the right track. While I'm not aware of Nebraskas mzl regulations I am very familiar with smokeless mzls.

Depending on ur budget u can build a bolt gun or convert some of the break actions like CVA's Scout. The bolt guns are capable of higher pressures thus higher velocities can be attained.

Some states have a 45 caliber minimum regulation so check on that. Many are building 40 calibers now as they have a ballistic advantage on the 45.

The break actions are generally classified as 200-300 yd rifles with velocities of 2500 fps or so shooting 250-275 gr bullets.

The bolt guns are capable of velocities in excess of 3000 fps with 300 gr or heavier bullets.

Check out HANK' MESSAGE BOARD.
There's lots of good information there.
I just saw this week where Jeff posted he had 8 CVA Scouts converted to mzls for sale.

Also Luke at Arrowhead builds nice rifles.
Those two can definitely point u in the right direction.

I'm not sure when ur hunt is taking place. The biggest problem u may have could be the amount of time u have to get the rifle up and running.

Good luck with ur build and ur hunt.
PM me if I can help u with anything.

Shortly after I built my TC Hawken 50cal from a kit, Remington produced a model 700 50cal muzzle loader. I immediately got one, ironed out some kinks with it, converted it to 209 primers and have had fun ever since. I found bullet drop to be extreme as compared to a center fire rifle. I overcame it with a 20MOA picatinny rail, Topped it with a 4-18 Nikon Monarch. The rig is heavy but I shoot from an elevated stand usually. I used loose powder in the beginning but found that the 50gr pellets were very consistent and provided surprisingly consistent velocities over my chrony. I maxed out the elevation adjustment on my scope at around 450yds and can hit reliably, consistently and accurately at that range. I started with 3 pellets of powder and quickly found that the velocity increase from 2 pellets to 3 pellets wasn't really worth the effort. I swab out the barrel every 3 shots. Completely take it apart and clean it good after a range session. Muzzle blast, flash, and smoke was huge with 3 pellets. Plus 3 pellets trashed my chrony. I've been shooting 250gr Barnes copper hollow points in a sabot. Took a white tail at 310yds with it. Haven't had a longer opportunity but I wouldn't feel under gunned trying it.

For a turnkey set up, cva paramount htr in 40 cal. Or a 45 cal if they have bore diameter regs in NE would be my choice. Or check out the new knight peregrine. The only issue is both are these rifles are long overdue, and not out on the streets yet

a custom from arrowhead, bestill, Hankins etc would also be a great option.

a third option would be an arrowhead 45 cal encore barrel that is very capable at long range.