Myths and Misconceptions You Encounter

I have found a scope level indicator to be priceless. I'm always setting up in crazy positions on the mountain to get shots on elk... so likewise, I practice the same way. Sometimes I'm amazed at how crooked I'm holding my rifle. When you're angled on a mountain face and so focused on the shot, it's easy for your brain to get used to your crooked position and hold the rifle equally crooked.

And likewise, I have learned that getting a firm/sturdy shooting position is more important than having a heavy rifle. If I have a solid setup, I can shoot my lightweight rifles very accurately. My longest shot on an elk is 630 yards with a 7.25 lb lb rifle, DRT with 1 shot. That bull was unlucky that I had a solid rest. :)

Misconception:
The 6.5-284 is a barrel burner.

No more or less than most LR cartridges with conparable ballistics and energy to kill game at LR. It's reputation as a barrel burner originated with the paper punchers used to shooting cartridges of lesser capabilities. I have found barrel life to be comparable to the 7mm mag, and much better than the Weatherbys.

I have found a scope level indicator to be priceless. I'm always setting up in crazy positions on the mountain to get shots on elk... so likewise, I practice the same way. Sometimes I'm amazed at how crooked I'm holding my rifle. When you're angled on a mountain face and so focused on the shot, it's easy for your brain to get used to your crooked position and hold the rifle equally crooked.

And likewise, I have learned that getting a firm/sturdy shooting position is more important than having a heavy rifle. If I have a solid setup, I can shoot my lightweight rifles very accurately. My longest shot on an elk is 630 yards with a 7.25 lb lb rifle, DRT with 1 shot. That bull was unlucky that I had a solid rest. :)

I'm on the northern plains my friend. I usually have a rather flat horizon to let me know where up and down is. I can see how it may help in some situations, but for me it is gun sights on a manure spreader...

I'm on the northern plains my friend. I usually have a rather flat horizon to let me know where up and down is. I can see how it may help in some situations, but for me it is gun sights on a manure spreader...

A flat horizon would definitely help. And I think some people might be better at keeping the gun upright than others. I've also noticed that the bubble level in my bow sight is really helpful. In the thick forests on a slant I always lean away from the mountain. Maybe it's just me!

"Hitting a man in the arm with one round from a .45 Cal auto will knock him off his feet"
I've heard that one since I was a kid; a very long time ago. I still hear it today.

In the right circumstances/conditions/part of the arm, etc. it will knock a person down, but then so would a .22. I've personally hit people with 3-5 rounds center of mass with a .223 from less than 25' and had them keep coming and then have also knocked one over with a 9 mm just clipping them about 1" into their left shoulder in the rear 1/4 quadrant with a instinct shot at the right angle and them being mid stride or otherwise just off balance enough. The way he went down, looked like he had been hit with a .50. I thought someone else had gotten him at the same time.

Different circumstances, different people, different reactions. You just can't make generalizations based on just a caliber. 9 mm came from a Marakov.?? pistol I had taken from a dead NVA or Chicom officer since I wasn't authorized a sidearm. Was in the process of trying to clear a jam in my *** M-16 when he showed up, Ended up making him a prisoner, but I was very surprised how slight the wound was, and the medics still almost lost him to shock.

Sure wish I could have kept the pistol as a war souvenir instead of selling it, but was also running out of ammo for it and US didn't stock 9 mm back then, at least where I was.

The above, among other similar reasons, is the main reason the smallest rounds I shoot today are .308 and .45.

BTW Your 30-06 IS obsolete!....:D

Packrat

"You can't take life seriously, you're not going to survive it anyway! Eat, Drink and make Mary,...... or Sue,.......... or Barbara......or.....? Packrat: 2015

"Hitting a man in the arm with one round from a .45 Cal auto will knock him off his feet"
I've heard that one since I was a kid; a very long time ago. I still hear it today.

Reminds me of this:
The .50 caliber machine gun is so powerful that if a round comes within a foot of a man's arm it can rip it off.

I've heard that many times by junior enlisted and NCO's alike.

gohring3006, Has anyone ever told you that you have a way with words?....:D

Packrat
Yea, I'm fluent in forum bull$#?%.:D:D LOL.
I actually was responding to another thread and realized I was in the wrong one. Haha.

lightbulbI should have got a .308, I would have been 50 years ahead of the 30-06. LOL

Yea, I'm fluent in forum bull$#?%.:D:D LOL.
I actually was responding to another thread and realized I was in the wrong one. Haha.

lightbulbI should have got a .308, I would have been 50 years ahead of the 30-06. LOL

I actually thought you were "Deleting" implying an obscene comment responding to my harassment where I said "BTW your 30-06 is obsolete!"

OK, .....LOL

Packrat

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.