Myths and Misconceptions You Encounter

CB11WYO

Hey guys as you've gotten into the LR world what kinds of Common Myths and Misconceptions have you debunked along the way? I'm NOT talking about ethics related subjects, just things like "Only trained snipers can shoot 1000 yards" or "You need a $6000 rifle to even think about long shots" ... stuff like that :)

So... whataya say?

-Clint

This should be a fun thread. I cant say I have debunked any myths but I have spent a lot of time shooting long range with low BC bullets. so I guess when people say you need a high BC bullet to shoot long range effectively, I disagree. I shot an elk at 890 yards with a 225gr TTSX out of my 338 win mag that sports a vx3 2.5-8x36mm scope with regular capped short turrets 2 years ago. I have shot a whole bunch of steel with big flat base 7mm and 375 bullets too.

I have also come to the realization that even though I love leupold.. they arent the best for dialing.

And high magnification scopes are not needed for long range.

Thanks Mike! All valid points IMO.
Ex: my 6x47 shoots best with a 95 gr pill, with under a .5 BC... have taken antelope over 800 yards with said setup

thanks

One misconception is that BDC reticles are outdated and don't serve a purpose. While I enjoy dialing and holding right on, I find I use my BDC reticles a ton on shots under 600 yards because it is so fast. With the right MOA or MIL reticle you could do the same thing until you ran out of reticle marks; I have read a lot about Kirby Allen using this method quite reliably.

The other misconception is that a 7mm or 300 mag is the minimum cartridge you need to hit steel at 1k yards. While the extra energy make them great for 1k yard elk you don't need a magnum round to reliably shoot 1k yards on animals/targets that require less energy.

Yeah the thought "gotta get a 50 cal to reach 1000 yds" :D

Then there's those guys that shoot PD's at 750 with a .20 cal.:D Should have my 8 twist .20 BR back from Cerakote soon.gun)
It's pretty scary what some guys are doing at 1k and beyond with 6mm's.

-Mike

I know you and if you can do it not only can I do it, but I can do it better......

Anemometer-- never used one yet they are touted as something needed.

Rangefinder- I've only used my rangefinder telling my Dad and Brother ranges; not on my critters.. on mine I'm too busy pulling the trigger

Scope level indicator-- are you really that crooked that you can't hold a dang rifle level???

dialing/ drop recticle. Your game has an average distance from back to sternum. If you have enough time to sneeze you can figure out the range to the point where you can score a vital hit with most cartridges I'll shoot if you know your scope...

HAHAHA I have hear that about a hundred times... I see nothing wrong with using a 375 ultra mag to shoot a fox

We are eating the antelope I took at 1019 yards with a 300 gr bullet from the 338 Terminator +P. Tastes awesome and meat loss was minimal. Placement is everything.

Jeff

Scope level indicator-- are you really that crooked that you can't hold a dang rifle level???

Well actually yes! Added to that "discussions" about whether the scope is correctly mounted to begin with, I think a level could be useful. I haven't tested the application of a level yet, but I do have an old X-ray somewhere that shows my back looking like a spiral staircase, and that crookedness varies day to day, AM to PM , and an outside reference point may help.

I do think inside the scope, like US optics might be the best place for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts