Mystified. 44 Mag bullets tumbling.

entoptics

As the title says, I loaded up some 44 mag "plinkers", and they're keyholing at 10 yds, and printing verified bugholes at about 50 MOA.

I'm mystified (see below, and you will be too probably). I've been reloading for years and never encountered something like this...

Details...
1) 240 gr X-treme plated bullets.
2) Occurred in three different guns. 2 Ruger Blackhawks, and a Rossi M92.
3) Occurred in two different loads, Blue Dot and TiteGroup. Both in the neighborhood of 1100 fps.
4) Bullets out of same box, running 1150 fps with 300-MP, loaded 2 weeks ago shot like butter a week ago, and again today.
5) Same bullets (different box, but purchased at same time), shot fine with the same charge/velocity with Blue Dot about a year ago according to my notes.

I can't think of anything that would throw things so far out of whack. Same three guns shot ~1" groups today with 240 XTP full magnum loads (~1400 fps, 1850 fps in Rossi), a super mild 200 gr Gold Dot load with TiteGroup at 850 fps, and last week's 300-MP loads with the same 240 X-Treme plated bullet at ~1150 fps.

I believe the only thing I moved on my press (Dillon 550) was the seating stem, as I changed from XTP, Gold Dot, and X-Treme. The only other difference from year/week ago, is that I used some old brass I found in a baggy, which had Federal 155 LPM primers, instead of the CCI350 LPM for the 300-MP load. Thing is, I used these same brass for the Gold Dot load, which worked just peachy.

What the heck could be going on here?

Last edited:
Bullets slightly undersized??? Just a wild guess...
Out in the field today, it briefly crossed my mind that I'd somehow loaded 40 cal (same box and general appearance sitting on my bench). Obviously that wasn't the case, but that's how confused I was.

The same bullets worked fine with a load from 2 weeks ago, and a year ago. I'm gonna pull apart the last few and see if I can figure something out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.