My View of Stainless Media Cleaning

I'll agree with some of the last few posts regarding tarnishing. I had this with my first several batches, then figured out that the water softener needed salt. :D
Replaced that, cycled it last evening, and today's run has only a tiny bit of tarnish on the case heads with none any more on the cases.

I'm going to have to play with the Lemishine amount as noted above as well. I had no idea that the process would be so sensitive to that.

I found out over thousands of rounds polished, that you can't have too much dawn, or in other words, the measurement isn't critical. You want to have some suds on the top of the water when you open it up. If not, add a little more the next time.

But lemishine on the other hand is more critical to the mix. Too little won't hurt anything, but too much = tarnishing. Even just a little spilled over the top of the .45 case turned out to be too much.

And make sure to rinse in cold water. I tried hot one time and the shiny cases turned to orange, by the time I dried them.

I haven't had any turn since weeks ago tumbling, they are holding the shine well. Some of the rifle cases, since I lubed them for resize, went into the vibratory tumbler with fine walnut shells, and some Nu-Finish in the shells, and they shine like new money, even after handling, no doubt due to the car polish coating them some.

Our local Wallyworld didn't have the Lemishine, but Krogers did. It's in granular form with grains a little larger than table salt, and was about $4. If I had known it wasn't easy to find, I'd have ordered it from STM with the media.

I'm going to do a batch of 50 hulls tonight and will put in about a 9mm pistol hull full of the granules for a starting place.

Got my fingers crossed. Hope the Sidewinder does the job.

Tom

Have done 2 batches. (50) .460 Wby as fired. primers still in, and (40) .460's after manually decapping them. I wanted to clean the fairly grungy hulls before sizing and prepping them. After 1 hr both batches were nice, after 2 hrs better inside, after 3 hrs they looked like new on the outside. The insides weren't all bright, but all residue was gone. Primer pockets were also residue-free, but I use the pocket cleaner of the RCBS Caseprep anyway while I'm chamfering the mouth of the cases. Now that the cases are really clean, in the future I will resize/decap before tumbling. That will end up saving a couple of steps.

Another thread on this board asked about drying. Since the Sidewinder tub is entirely plastic, I set it on its back in the kitchen sink and rinse everything in it with flowing cold water until all suds are gone, then swish the cases one at a time mouth down in the clear water in the tumbler to get all the pins to drop out, take them out and lay them on a bath towel and roll them around, then blow the pockets and interiors with compressed air and stand them up in wooden loading blocks to finish drying. I haven't had any pins stay in the cases. I don't know how long it takes to tarnish, but so far they haven't. I ended up using less than a 1/2 tsp of the Lemishine, so maybe they won't tarnish at all.

The Sidewinder isn't ideal, but I had it, and it does O.K. It will only take about 3 lbs of the pins, a quart of water, and 50 big hulls. Any more and the tub tries to climb off the drive shafts unless I prop the back end up to make it near level. Suds come out of the vent hole in the center of the cap, but the cap doesn't leak.

I intended to just use the STM system for cleaning big, dirty cases, but I like the results enough to use it on everything I can. It gets cases cleaner than anything else I've ever used. I did read some posts where the pins hang up in 6.5 mm cases and smaller though.

Works for me. Tom

I have found using a food dehydrator to dry my brass works the best. I set the temp to 150 degree's and dry them one - two hours. Depends on the size and amount of brass I'm working with. Works the same as using the oven except the racks allow the air to circulate more evenly. You can dry a lot of brass more efficiently this way and in a neat confined space.

Another tip is to soak your brass in room temp distilled water a few minutes before drying. No more water spots. The distilled water can also be used over and over again.

Works for me anyways!

I'm cheaping out (as usual) I orderd spherical hardened stainless balls from one of my suppliers to try our instead of the rods.

Will report back.....

Browninglover1 PMed me about doing a batch of RC car parts for him. I'm thinking he might be on to some other applications for SS tumbling.
I gathered up a bunch of nasty spent cases at the Mantua range just to see what it would do to steel, old brass and aluminum.
DSC00519.jpg

Here's a handfull of old brass.

DSC00521.jpg

Primer pockets.

DSC00524.jpg

That's some pretty nasty water!

DSC00525.jpg

Check that out! I'm impressed!

I put a couple of those copper plated steel cases in with a bunch of my brass and the copper stained some of my brass to a copper color but just in certain aeas of the brass.Arnie

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.