My ultralight timber stick - building a 4 lb rifle

.338 Federal makes good hole in a barrel and animals!

Now I have to weigh my Kimber Montana I may have you beat by a few yearsšŸ˜‰
Are the guys suggesting 338 Federal all running 308 brass? If so is it all simple as running it in a 338 Federal die or over the proper sized mandrel (.334)?

Are there any sources for the proper brass?

I really enjoy my .260 AI. It's a touch quirky fire forming the brass but inherently accurate and fun to shoot. With good bullets it would be perfectly suitable for elk. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on it's enormously more enjoyable than my 7mm-08.
Yup there's something about the 260 ackley. I have 2 I like them so much. Way better than a crudmoor.

Lot's of suggestions and/or opinions, thanks!

To answer, I ran some numbers on recoil. A .338 federal or .358 winchester would put recoil in this gun to that of an 8.5 lb 300 rum sending 215's, but at an even higher recoil velocity, and I'm not running a brake as there will not be enough muzzle meat. So, they are out ha ha.

As far as effective on elk, I have used my .260ai to take elk at 710, 813, 713, 910, and 890 yards, with either a 140 Berger, 156 Berger, or 147 eld-m, and all but one from the eld-m were very effective. And on the eld-m, the bullet did not penetrate strait and missed all but the backside of one lung. A .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08 would be plenty on elk at the ranges I intend to use this rifle for, especially with a well designed mono that will ensure penetration, and recoil will be manageable.

As far as .260 vs .260ai, the .260ai will perform better regardless of barrel length, it has more capacity. And also, I have dies for the .260ai.

And ya, I know I could spend a good bit less and be close to the weight, but it would still be heavier ha ha. This is pretty much for fun, to see how light I can go.

The weight of the Manners stock is with the recoil pad. Bare without bedding, they are 17.5 oz or so.

I may have missed a couple, but that covers most of it ha ha. And my scope option may likely change, I got some time to chew on that!

You know, I didn't think about the bigger bores. A .338 federal or .358 winchester may deserve a look for a timber elk rifle.....though I wonder how recoil would be in a 5.5 lb rifle????? Ha ha
One things for sure. If you go with the 338 or 358, it probably won't be a high round count gun. Your shoulder will protest loudly on a nice light rig like that. šŸ‘

So this is going to take a while (couple years likely) to finish, as I really don't "need" this rifle, and it's also going to be a niche rifle as well. Either way though, every rifle I build has an intended purpose......and the following will be this one's.

I hunt a few different ways, usually I'm spot/shoot or spot/stalking from high vantage points, in rough country. I usually start out the year however, with archery, but I really don't put in a ton of effort on that. Other times though, especially now that my kids are wanting to go with me more, I find myself sneaking through the timber quietly, teaching them the ways of the woods, how to stalk, how to be quiet, how to navigate, and how to listen. While this is usually not as successful as high point glassing, I still find it very exciting, and love that my kids seem to enjoy it too, as we're constantly doing something.

I don't need this rifle to be extremely light, but it also doesn't need to be heavy. I look back at all my harvests with these kinds of hunts, and the farthest shot I can recall is a 250 yard shot across a meadow, with the average range being under 100 yards. So magnum power, or heavy rifle stability just isn't needed. Arguably, extreme accuracy isn't "needed" either, though I have my bets this one will shoot quite well for what it will be. What is important, is being quick and nimble handling, and having good pointability. Every animal I harvested hunting this way was taken within seconds of seeing it, often while they were moving. And, as I may be covering lot's of distance, I want it light, and also, just because, no other real good reason there ha ha. So, I might as well make it extreme in some fashion ha ha.

So, on to the build itself. Here will be the components, and the weights -

Manners MCS-UC, 13" LOP, ADL repeater - ~20 oz roughly with pillars, action screws, aluminum trigger gaurd and light bedding.

Pierce Skele-TI, left hand short action, .308 bolt face - ~ 15.9 oz

Rock creek #1 sporter contour, cut at 18", short shanked. Still undecided on what chambering, bore diameter could change it slightly.... - ~ 1 lb 15 oz

ADL mag box, spring and follower - ~ 4 oz estimated

Trigger Tech diamond - ~ 3 oz

This comes out to right at 4 lbs 10 oz for the bare rifle, maybe an oz or two more.

Tally rings - 3.5 oz

? SWFA SS 2.5-10 - 9.5 oz

So with that scope, would add 13 oz, putting it at 5 lbs 7 oz, unloaded, add about 3-4oz for 4 rounds of something like .243, .260, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or maybe .308. Then a sling like a skinny nylon sling, still under 6 lbs.

I will probably run a monolithic bullet of some flavor in it for hunting, as all shots will likely be close, and it will mainly be for elk. It is not going to be threaded, and no muzzle device, and I want to avoid magnum calibers for the sake of easier recoil in this ultra light, and also so I can have a very short shanked barrel. Right now I'm thinking .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08. Any would kill elk splendidly inside 400ish yards this rifle will be designated for.

I think this would be super handy, and make a nice timber rifle. At this point, all I got is the Manners stock on order, thanks to their 20% off black Friday sale ha ha. I will update this thread slowly as it progresses, but it will be a fun process!
Posting FYSA

If you don't already have your MCS-UC, that stock is discontinued and replaced by the Ultra Classic Plus which is going to add a couple of ounces to your build. I found this out when I tried to order one a couple of months back.

ETA: After reading all of your post again, I see you just ordered it so you're likely aware of this.

I'm running .338 fed brass. 2008-10 you could get it. Haven't looked in a long time.
A 175 Gr HH in a .338 isn't a recoil issue at all 20'' barrel.
I did have some 160 TTSX with TAC make quite a snappy tune. Also, 210 Sirocco 2's would thump on both ends but that is what I wanted.

I've been down this road in the early 80's. Had Brown Precision make me 2 guns on a Remington short action with their "pounder" stock. First one was a 6mm Remington. The second was 350 Rem mag. The 6mm weighed 5 pounds 2 Oz with a Swarovski 3x9 and three rounds in the blind magazine. It's been a deer killing machine for almost 40 years. The big brother, 350 Rem mag, weighed a couple of ounces more and was also a killed (at both ends).

I've been down this road in the early 80's. Had Brown Precision make me 2 guns on a Remington short action with their "pounder" stock. First one was a 6mm Remington. The second was 350 Rem mag. The 6mm weighed 5 pounds 2 Oz with a Swarovski 3x9 and three rounds in the blind magazine. It's been a deer killing machine for almost 40 years. The big brother, 350 Rem mag, weighed a couple of ounces more and was also a killed (at both ends).
My uncle worked at brown precision for a while. I remember a 17 remington he built himself while he worked there that he let me use for a while, it was in that weight range, and a sweet shooting little thing

Even my 94 Winchester in 307 kicks hard as a bare rifle- Its only like 5 lbs, and my lightweight 270 has more harsh of a kick than my 300 mag did. It was more of a push than a whack.

So this is going to take a while (couple years likely) to finish, as I really don't "need" this rifle, and it's also going to be a niche rifle as well. Either way though, every rifle I build has an intended purpose......and the following will be this one's.

I hunt a few different ways, usually I'm spot/shoot or spot/stalking from high vantage points, in rough country. I usually start out the year however, with archery, but I really don't put in a ton of effort on that. Other times though, especially now that my kids are wanting to go with me more, I find myself sneaking through the timber quietly, teaching them the ways of the woods, how to stalk, how to be quiet, how to navigate, and how to listen. While this is usually not as successful as high point glassing, I still find it very exciting, and love that my kids seem to enjoy it too, as we're constantly doing something.

I don't need this rifle to be extremely light, but it also doesn't need to be heavy. I look back at all my harvests with these kinds of hunts, and the farthest shot I can recall is a 250 yard shot across a meadow, with the average range being under 100 yards. So magnum power, or heavy rifle stability just isn't needed. Arguably, extreme accuracy isn't "needed" either, though I have my bets this one will shoot quite well for what it will be. What is important, is being quick and nimble handling, and having good pointability. Every animal I harvested hunting this way was taken within seconds of seeing it, often while they were moving. And, as I may be covering lot's of distance, I want it light, and also, just because, no other real good reason there ha ha. So, I might as well make it extreme in some fashion ha ha.

So, on to the build itself. Here will be the components, and the weights -

Manners MCS-UC, 13" LOP, ADL repeater - ~20 oz roughly with pillars, action screws, aluminum trigger gaurd and light bedding.

Pierce Skele-TI, left hand short action, .308 bolt face - ~ 15.9 oz

Rock creek #1 sporter contour, cut at 18", short shanked. Still undecided on what chambering, bore diameter could change it slightly.... - ~ 1 lb 15 oz

ADL mag box, spring and follower - ~ 4 oz estimated

Trigger Tech diamond - ~ 3 oz

This comes out to right at 4 lbs 10 oz for the bare rifle, maybe an oz or two more.

Tally rings - 3.5 oz

? SWFA SS 2.5-10 - 9.5 oz

So with that scope, would add 13 oz, putting it at 5 lbs 7 oz, unloaded, add about 3-4oz for 4 rounds of something like .243, .260, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or maybe .308. Then a sling like a skinny nylon sling, still under 6 lbs.

I will probably run a monolithic bullet of some flavor in it for hunting, as all shots will likely be close, and it will mainly be for elk. It is not going to be threaded, and no muzzle device, and I want to avoid magnum calibers for the sake of easier recoil in this ultra light, and also so I can have a very short shanked barrel. Right now I'm thinking .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08. Any would kill elk splendidly inside 400ish yards this rifle will be designated for.

I think this would be super handy, and make a nice timber rifle. At this point, all I got is the Manners stock on order, thanks to their 20% off black Friday sale ha ha. I will update this thread slowly as it progresses, but it will be a fun process!
I have a Lothar Walter barrel on my Barrett Fieldcraft. It is fluted and the contour matches a Sauer 202 Lightweight barrel (.630" @ the muzzle). It is 22" long and weights 2 lbs, 5 ox., FYI.

I have a Lothar Walter barrel on my Barrett Fieldcraft. It is fluted and the contour matches a Sauer 202 Lightweight barrel (.630" @ the muzzle). It is 22" long and weights 2 lbs, 5 ox., FYI.
Yup, this rock creek will be 18" long, and .560" at the muzzle, and short shanked. I may even go down to 16.5". Should be under 2 lbs