My Recent Panda Hunt

efw

I know that there are a lot of do-gooders stateside who might object to such a trophy, but I've never seen a mount and thought it'd make for a unique hunt/trophy. I wondered what cartridge one should choose? They look harmless and cute, but won't they gnaw your arm off like a twig of bamboo if you wound one?

Here are the three cartridges I considered candidates. The 6-250 w/ a 75 gr HP in a very accurate rifle for head shots, the 30-06 loaded with a 147 gr FMJ for penetration, or the 257 Roy with a 117 gr Interlock for a "middle of the road" approach and for longer shots.

P1400041.jpg

Which would you choose?

When I reached the hunting grounds, I found the prey to be ellusive but self-assured. I guess that a black belt & recieving int'l protection as endangered can lead to that. Talk about unintended consequences for the do-gooders:

P1400026.jpg

P1400030.jpg

Even so, it took a while before I was able to catch the massive bear in a vulnerable spot, cocky as ever even with a 6mm hole through his abdomen:

P1400031.jpg

We carefully chose our shots, documenting the whole ordeal even in spite of the peril we knew we faced if anyone found out we were chasing such a majestic and mysterious creature. Shot opportunities were few and far between, but carefully placed:

P1400037.jpg

Even after several hits, he remained defiant. I obviously chose the wrong rifle for this; in the legendary words of Jewells Winfield, "we need shotguns for this...":

P1400043.jpg

Finally, after an extended search for a wounded animal we knew had the cunning to watch his backtrail and karate chop us at any moment, my opponent lay vanquished:

P1400039.jpg

Anyone have insight into ways around do-gooder importation rules? I'd like a full body mount to be the central point of interest in my trophy room!

Very entertaining!

That is such a great ideas my kids would have blast doing this.

Oh heck yeah the kids love it... grown-up kids as well as smaller ones ;) !!

My 8 yo and I did a mastadon hunt a year or so ago:

P1380153.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.