My new coyote getter

I disagree with you. I kill nuisance animals as part of my job and I have not lost one animal to the 12 gauge buckshot. Your opinion is speculation and talk around the Internet and mine is real world experience putting animals down quickly and humainley.
You have every right to disagree, but you can't change physics. Your shooting an 1150 fps load of less shot than a 1280 fps 10 GA. load of 2oz. Shot in a larger barrel diameter and you kill cleanly farther? I seriously doubt you've bothered to pattern your shotgun at range, its not fun, but very insightful( that means you learn a lot)
As I say I prefer a rifle for yotes, it does a cleaner job.
PERIOD
You may shoot for a living as you imply but your experience speaks otherwise.

You have every right to disagree, but you can't change physics. Your shooting an 1150 fps load of less shot than a 1280 fps 10 GA. load of 2oz. Shot in a larger barrel diameter and you kill cleanly farther? I seriously doubt you've bothered to pattern your shotgun at range, its not fun, but very insightful( that means you learn a lot)
PERIOD
You may shoot for a living as you imply but your Like I said you don't have real world experience killing animals with a shotgun with buckshot and you have stated so. I have patterned my gun with multiple shells. You can quote physics all day long but I doubt very seriously that you have a degree in physics. You sir are the one with little experience and a whole lot to learn when it comes to killing.
PERIOD
You may shoot for a living as you imply but your experience speaks otherwise.
Like I said you don't have real world experience killing animals with a shotgun with buckshot and you have stated so. I have patterned my gun with multiple shells. You can quote physics all day long but I doubt very seriously that you have a degree in physics. You sir are the one with little experience and a whole lot to learn when it comes to killing.

I went with the Benelli M4-great shotgun, I've had it on a few stands without success. Last time out I should have had one, to slow on the trigger. Younger guys would have pulled at least one from the 3 that came in.

Like I said you don't have real world experience killing animals with a shotgun with buckshot and you have stated so. I have patterned my gun with multiple shells. You can quote physics all day long but I doubt very seriously that you have a degree in physics. You sir are the one with little experience and a whole lot
Your namesake says it all possum cop!

I went with the Benelli M4-great shotgun, I've had it on a few stands without success. Last time out I should have had one, to slow on the trigger. Younger guys would have pulled at least one from the 3 that came in.
That M4 is an extremely nice shotgun. I should have some time to get out this weekend and call in some dogs.

I've used my SBE III to kill close to 50 coyotes now. It has worked well as a coyote gun for me. If you have patterned it by now then you will have already found out it shoots high as designed by Benelli. It comes with some wedges so you can adjust it some but your fast fire 3 will fix that the high shooting issue. I've thought about adding a red dot to SBE but I don't think it would help me kill more or less coyotes.

Hornady makes a "Heavy Magnum Coyote" load that I've been very happy with in BB. You don't need a tight choke to shoot it because the wad is designed to keep the pattern tight. I've been able to buy a box of 10 for $12 on sale. $1.20 per shot is much better than $5-$7 per shot for Hevi-Shot dead coyote. I've had both rounds kill coyotes stone dead at 40 yards and don't intend on using my shotgun beyond 50 yards so I don't see a big advantage in paying extra $$ for TSS or Hevi-Shot. Buckshot loads will work for coyotes but I think the nickel platted BB loads created by hornady for coyotes is an excellent balance for cost and performance.

I think you are smart not trying to turn your shotgun into a 70 or 80 yard coyotes gun. Just like killing a coyote at 800 yards with a rifle, a 80 yard shotgun kill on a coyote is possible but to be consistent at extreme ranges takes significant practice. I have much more confidence in anchoring a moving coyote at 70 yards with my rifle than I do with my shotgun.

In general I like to shotgun coyotes 40 yards or less but have killed coyotes at 50+ yards with a shotgun. I've also had to finish of several 50+ yard shotguned coyotes with my rifle.

That ought to teach you a lesson about trying to shoot from the hip like the RIFLEMAN. At only ten yards you might as well be shooting a slug
I've missed coyotes at 20 yards or less with my shotgun. A rushed quick shot in odd shooting positions on a fast moving coyote is not as easy of targets as I thought it would be. I was overconfident that there was no way I would miss and was humbled on more than one occasion. The good thing about a shotgun is you can take a quick follow up shot to anchor them if you messed up your first shot.

I have killed a couple coyotes with my old Rem 870 3" with steel goose loads and #4 buck. The shots were 40 and about 60 yds. The #4 buck blew right threw em and needed a follow up shot to finish the job. The Steel F shot performed the same as the buck. The Steel T shot worked better as there were more pellets on target. But my experience is only on a few dogs inside of 60 yds. My pattern gets pretty thin past 60 yds. Now I hunt more open country and use my .243 Win bolt gun. Got 23 dogs this year.

I have killed a couple coyotes with my old Rem 870 3" with steel goose loads and #4 buck. The shots were 40 and about 60 yds. The #4 buck blew right threw em and needed a follow up shot to finish the job. The Steel F shot performed the same as the buck. The Steel T shot worked better as there were more pellets on target. But my experience is only on a few dogs inside of 60 yds. My pattern gets pretty thin past 60 yds. Now I hunt more open country and use my .243 Win bolt gun. Got 23 dogs this year.
I primarily use a .223 or a .308 but use the 12 Gauge #4 when needed. We have people that assume to much when reading our posts. I'm at 246 hogs and 73 dogs for this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.