My mission to find the best short barreled big 338!!!

This thing just might be the ticket!! 5.6 oz…wow!!
That's really light ... I dont believe it will handle a 338 edge or 338 lapua on a 20 or 22" barrel running 3200 fps for very long and or be as quiet as my 338 TBAC ultra can.. I could be totally 100% wrong too!! .. YOU SHOULD buy one and tell us how it does ;) 😁

Last edited:
Sorry Elk Hunter 338, my post was about my experience with a short barreled 338 RUM and didn't bring light to the quality of your build…so I deleted it.

Last edited:
I'm actually not giving up anything!!
I will have an ultra short rifle when the can is removed (which wont happen unless it is in a case)
It will hunt just like a standard 26-28" barrel but be super quiet.
less actual felt recoil with a lighter bullet which is good.
ballistics that surpass a heavier slow motion bullet ..
People have got to remember ... velocity is what makes a bullet work, its not rocket science ,, If you have turd at the start you have a pile of **** at the end!!!

This I why I believe you are seeing more and more "run offs" and "weird bullet performance" than ever before because people forget.. the bullet has to work when it gets there.. it has great BC but the impact velocity is terrible!! No one looks at these numbers .. all they care about is the BC which doesn't mean anything if the bullet isn't operating at its peak

I will not shoot a 285-300gr bullet at 2600fps when I can shoot a mid weight bullet with a decent BC at 3000+ fps!! impact numbers dont lie!!!

It makes no sense to me to run a slow heavy bullet in this setup... THAT IN FACT WILL GAIN ME NOTHING BUT RECOIL!! ..

For those places where i feel the need to bring out the heavies I have a 375 Cheytac for that !!

I shot a 223 hammer hunter last year at 3180fps in a 22" 338,, it was impressive to say the least.. the BC is terrible on this bullet but I shot it to a 1000 to true curves and it proved to be very accurate!! I wanted to try it and i did.. it worked flawlessly!!

I hunt with a suppressor for a reason I LOVE THEM .. and i build all my personal rifles around them!!
Elk Hunter sorry to jump in on your posts. we like to hear all of your .338 cartridges. we follow what you are building and shooting.
My love is the 6.5mm and my mistress is the .338.
We like your current post especially about suppressors.
We have 1/2+ dozen suppressors and like them especially on 1911s and P336.
Would love to get one for our 338LMAI, BUT we are so tired of paying the TAX man and suppressor manufactures with inflated prices.
In Europe the government wants you to shoot suppressed and in the USA the government wants that $200 TAX and will never give it up. Suppressor Manufactures also want inflated prices. If the suppressor manufactures paid off Congress (bribes like everything else) they would be selling 20 Times the amount of suppressors.
Thanks for all your info on the .338s
Len & Jill

The funny thing is .. the looks, and the "What the hell do you need that monster for" comments in camp or just in general discussion crack me up.. but the more you talk, read and actually listen to what other hunters are doing.. they all tend to have the same pattern .. small to bigger and definite performance gained noted when hitting elk out west with a bigger larger frontal area bullet going faster!!

Last edited:
It's really hard for me to shoot the 250 gr vs the 300 gr . I believe in the power of the larger bullets and I like the way they hit with Authority!
I wonder how this will play out !
Nothing but top notch from Dallas !

Rum Man
In my 26" 338 reaper I run the 300 berger at 2980fps in peterson brass .. so in that setup you can't go wrong ..

I'm going to look up that Reaper ...sounds tough !

Rum Man
@Rum Man .... Get your check book ready.. this is going to sting a little!!!😁😁
20230307_145327.jpg
20230307_145317.jpg
20230307_145322.jpg
20230307_145104.jpg
20230307_145313.jpg
20230307_145114.jpg