My Hunting Partner Gone but Not Forgotten

Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
I often think about the people I hunted with over a great many years. What a way to kind of close things with your father. You'll think if him often. There nothing better than hunting with your kids.
Sorry for you loss. My though are with you.

I had a similar experience to yours. About a week after burying my Dad I caught my personal best Largemouth. Fishing was our biggest recreational activity together. Had similar thoughts about the loss and the blessings of it all. And today is his birthday.

Sorry for your loss and congrats on the buck.

Last edited:
We all are sorry for the loss of your dad in death. My dad died in 1991 and we still talk about him. And I remember his advice and wisdom. I'm near 70 years old and know I don't fill his shoes. The best advice I can share: your dad will continue to live in your heart, your kids heart and the grand kids heart as long his memory is shared. Death is the enemy of all mankind.

Truly sorry for your loss. Easy to see he was with you that morning you got that buck. Congrats to your Father for having a great son and carrying out traditions. lost most my family and still think and remember them almost everyday. They are in your heart and will forever be apart of you and your life. GOD BLESS

Lost my hunting partner (DaD )in 2020. Nothings the same anymore. The Fall was our time together. I've hunted my whole life, but I could careless to hunt after that. But my son got me to go out this year and I'm so glad he did. No big kills , just glad to be in the woods again with my son.