My Hunting Partner Gone but Not Forgotten

Thank you for your story, brother, and my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father. Obviously he left a wonderful legacy in your upbringing that you can pass to his grandchildren! I have to think he was right there with you when you broke the shot............

Awesome story, and fantastic buck. Congratulations, and condolences. Thank you so much for sharing. Due to work pressures I have not been out much this year and may have been feeling a little sorry for myself. This story really puts things into perspective - thank you for sharing it!

Thoughts and prayers are with you, some of my best childhood memories were in the woods or in a Jon boat with my dad. Cherish the land and those memories. I can't put into words how it makes me feel knowing that I am making my dad proud by carrying on the traditions that my dad taught me, just as you are.

Well, last Thursday morning I woke up before dawn thinking about my dad (who died a few days before), planning the funeral in my head, and reminiscing all the good times we had in the woods.

I could hear him chastising me for not hunting on the ranch much and me telling him I was saving the deer for my kids and grandkids!

As I lay there I started thinking I could at least go sit on the stand and watch the sun come up and spend time with my thoughts alone. So I got dressed, grabbed my rifle and walked quietly to the stand. I saw several young bucks and a few doe. They all made their way back into the brush and I was about to leave when some movement caught my eye…

Dad, I know you would be happy! I shot a buck at the ranch for the first time in 15-20 years. Turned out to be the biggest ever taken at the ranch!

Oh: 7RM, ACTAR, 168 ABLR's, 200 yards - DRT
Sorry.for your loss. Nice buck and thanks for story behind the buck