My first semi-custom

mountainman56

Well I did it, I finally managed to build my own semi-custom rifle. My original plan was to build a 7mm Dakota but with a ruptured disk in my neck that doesn't seem to like the repeated recoil of larger rifles, I decided to chamber it in 280 Ackley. Went with a Savage action, a 27" Bartlein barrel and one of Ryan's brakes that I had ordered in the wrong size for my 7mag barrel. A PT&G recoil lug, oversized fluted PT&G bolt body, tactical bolt handle (a little too sticky-outy I think), timney trigger and a 20moa Weaver base. The laminated stock color is called "coyote" so it only seemed right to duracoat it in coyote tan. I know the tactical look is popular these days but I still have a preference for wood. I have liberated the 4-16 Vortex scope off my 7mag as I'm scope poor at the moment but I plan on a Nightforce in the not too distant future.

It was a relatively trouble free project with one hiccup when I dulled the first reamer by using inadequate cutting oil. It took me 13 days of spare time from start to finish (after 5 months of preparation). I found the biggest danger in this undertaking is; get-done-itis. Sometimes the best way for me to work on a project like this is to stop working on it, sit down, drink a cold beer or three and think about it till tomorrow.

I have fire formed 20 brass and also shot a dozen rounds with different loads. The heavy barrel, muscle brake, laminated stock and decelerator pad combine to turn this into a pussycat with the recoil of a 223. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot and has already put out some very nice groups (if it shot lousy none of y'all would have ever known I built it :)).

I have to say this forum is an incredible research tool. Many questions and a lot of my research has been done here. There is an incredible wealth of information here from knowledgeable members willing to share their experience. A special thanks to Jerry who was willing to share his expertise and to take the time to answer my silly questions.

Attachments

• 280 Ackley2.jpg
    280 Ackley2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 280 Ackley.jpg
    280 Ackley.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 162 A-max.jpg
    162 A-max.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 81
That is one sweet looking rifle. looks like she shoots as well.

Nothing like the satisfaction of putting together your own project, particularly when it shoots well.

Chris

...I found the biggest danger in this undertaking is; get-done-itis. Sometimes the best way for me to work on a project like this is to stop working on it, sit down, drink a cold beer or three and think about it till tomorrow...

I suffer from the same illness! I wish I could say I've learned my lesson, but sometimes the urge to jump into a project feet first is overwhelming. I usually get better results and finish sooner when I slooow down and carefully think everything through.

Cool looking rifle. Congrats.

...I found the biggest danger in this undertaking is; get-done-itis. Sometimes the best way for me to work on a project like this is to stop working on it, sit down, drink a cold beer or three and think about it till tomorrow...

I suffer from the same illness! I wish I could say I've learned my lesson, but sometimes the urge to jump into a project feet first is overwhelming. I usually get better results and finish sooner when I slooow down and carefully think everything through.

Cool looking rifle. Congrats.

Very nice !!!!!

I am glad I could help and that the project turned out so good.

Good shooting.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.