My first custom chamber: 300 Ultra X! (Creedmoor was taken)

Mram10us

Final Results: It seemed the long flat at the base of the brass was too much. Using the 300wsm dies worked great for the first few firings but then it was too hard to chamber the rounds. Also hard to eject rounds and gave a false feeling of pressure signs. Learned a lot and had some fun. On to the next project.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Couldn't sleep Christmas Eve so I went out to the shop and built my 35deg 300 rum hybrid.
Goal: make a cartridge that would compete with the 300norma improved while using 300 rum brass.

Components
Trued Rem 700 action
27" brux Rem varmint contour (deep fluted by Kampfeld customs)
Manners eh5 in midnight camo
Vortex hst 6-24 mrad
EE32C163-8C75-4569-BB3C-6BAA9DBB4ADB.jpeg

I will get a good print made up. Imagine a 300wsm the length of a rum. It adds a 35deg shoulder and a flat from the base to the .74" mark in the chamber. The base and shoulder diameters are slightly larger. It allows for an extra 4% capacity over the standard rum with basic computations, but I haven't finalized the using Gr of water.
9D766A89-B4B7-4B0D-93B4-73EE5753AD34.jpeg

Initial testing today with a light load of 78gr imr4350 and 180sst in Norma and nosler 300 rum brass printed the below groups at 100 and 300 for fireforming. The brass ff with no issues and showed decent accuracy for a basic ff load.
37961963-15BE-45A7-8745-725517207EE7.jpeg

3446C8A1-645A-4E81-9CCE-B107E5B32BEF.jpeg

Next: load up 230 otm and h1000 or N570 to see where pressure begins with the increased volume case. I'll chrono the ladder and post.

Pardon the colors, I have a bird nest in my shop heater and cannot cerakote till I get my shop heater fixed. Thinking a graphite or charcoal color with orange or red flutes

Last edited:
you shouldn't have a problem reaching your goal. I can match the norma imp with my 30-338 rum imp. it will be interesting to see if that much flat spot causes any high pressure extraction problems or if that much diameter in base causes you to loose primer pockets sooner.
years ago they use to tighten up that area because the Remington brass was so undersized

you shouldn't have a problem reaching your goal. I can match the norma imp with my 30-338 rum imp. it will be interesting to see if that much flat spot causes any high pressure extraction problems or if that much diameter in base causes you to loose primer pockets sooner.
years ago they use to tighten up that area because the Remington brass was so undersized
40 rounds into it now. Extraction is normal. I'll keep an eye on primer pockets and do a pressure ladder hopefully today. Thanks for the insight.

Nope. Hold your coffee tight! I used a 300wsm reamer and pushed it in ~.7" farther. Waiting for the "that's not right" guys to start screaming :)
I almost asked if you did that very thing!! So you'll end up with a .220 straighter section once the body blows out to the chamber walls.

My math was .694" flat section from base forward. Too early to tell how this experiment will go.

I almost asked if you did that very thing!! So you'll end up with a .220 straighter section once the body blows out to the chamber walls.
Great minds think alike :)
Just fl (3/4) sized the brass with a 300wsm die. When priming, all felt normal, but the ff loads were light. We'll see how they hold up after the next test where I find max load

The body of a chamber has no flat spot in it, once you run up your pressure the body of the case will blow to match the chamber, you'll have a .220ish of the case base that won't blow out to a taper not the .740 deeper you drove the reamer.

The body of a chamber has no flat spot in it, once you run up your pressure the body of the case will blow to match the chamber, you'll have a .220ish of the case base that won't blow out to a taper not the .740 deeper you drove the reamer.
The body of a "normal chamber" has no flat spot? If that is what you're saying, I realize that. Of course, we agree the brass will form to the chamber. That's why I fireformed with light loads. The reamer base only got to roughly .560" in diameter so pushing it in an extra .740" leaves a flat of .740 minus boltface to start of chamber, correct? Sorry, not seeing the .220" ish.

I think what he meant is the rum brass is only about .550 while the .7 of flat is around .560. The cup section (.220) should not blow out much, but ahead of that it will probably swell to .554-.557 maybe not quite that much with spring back but the "swell" probably will be noticeable.
My question is how did the straight section finish after the reamer quit cutting?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.