My First Rifle Build Has Arrived

Nitroman

Here she is. Probably not as exciting for many here, but plenty for me.

300_Ultra_Left.jpg

and
300_Ultra_Right.jpg

Started life as a plain early model .300 RUM sitting in the rack at the Kwethluk Corp. Store for I don't know how many years. I saw it one spring as I was passing through and bought it the following spring. I was able to get $30 knocked off the price by pointing out to the manager that the matt finish on the barrel where it rested on the felt in the gunrack had been polished off by vibrations and the rifle being moved so much!

Sent it to Greg Tannel for his complete treatment, and a Krieger No. 17 contour from Bruno's to begin things. I already had some parts which helped the project along.

The barrel measure 30" from the face of the receiver, 0.930" at the muzzle. It has a 0.340" neck and I've turned cases for 0.337" so will be loading some up shortly.

Greg opened up the front ring and rear bridge a little to help with loading cartridges. I didn't ask him to do this, he just did. A detail that I had not considered, but he took care of so dropping in the shells will be easier.
300_Ultra_Front_Receiver.jpg

300_Ultra_Rear_Bridge.jpg

That is a 210 grain Berger VLD set to just touch the lands. From the base of the case to the ogive it measures 2.933". There really is some room in front too! I need to massage the magazine (I cannot refer to that thing as a box), thing as you see the two points at the front just before the ramp extend into the path of the cartridge as it is chambered. This doesn't hinder chambering, but it marks up my pretty cases so they have to go. That feedramp will shortly be polished to look like it is chrome plated. Doesn't have to be, but it will feed slickern' lizard poop on a hot brass pole. Keeps the tips of the bullets pretty too. :)
300_Ultra_Magazine.jpg

The business end.
300_Ultra_Muzzle.jpg

Now all I need to do is decide on a scope. I am torn between the Nightforce 5.5x22 or the Meopta ZD 6x24. I contacted Meopta USA and was told zero stop turrets will be coming out soon. Sssooooo...

I will change out the stock for a stronger semi-target job which I already have. I've been slowly working on it as I have time. Have to open up the grip area and have been considering an adjustable cheek-piece but for now the grey laminate platform will do the job.

For now I'll slap on a Burris 3x9 just so I can make some noise and break in the barrel. I am tickled. :)

That is a nice gun mate , the barrel is quite a monster also.
Just make sure the stock forend and bedding system is upto the job of supporting that big barrel . Hope it shoots great for you .
I reckon you should also consider a Vortex Razor HD scope . I don't have one myself because I can't afford it being a disabled war vet and all but you most likely can , so take a look at them and see what you think .
The nightforce is a great scope but the Vortex with the zero stop , First focal plain milradian reticule is a good setup for ranging at any power .

Thank you sir.

I don't mind my rifles being a little heavy, and the thick barrel will help in the long run as it is 30" long. I have some Mauser rifles with the 29" barrels and have carried them so I do not mind the length. Most of the cover where I live is spread out and not at all thick. The extra barrel length won't hurt with velocity either.

The action is pillar bedded with everything else floated. While on the bags it should be fine but you are correct in that I should move it to the other stock I have which will definitely be able to provide proper support.

I'll look at the Viper scopes too.

Great looking rig, and kudos to you for going with a wood stock. Composite stocks are great but you can't beat the feel of wood.:cool:

Thank you sir.

I don't mind my rifles being a little heavy, and the thick barrel will help in the long run as it is 30" long. I have some Mauser rifles with the 29" barrels and have carried them so I do not mind the length. Most of the cover where I live is spread out and not at all thick. The extra barrel length won't hurt with velocity either.

The action is pillar bedded with everything else floated. While on the bags it should be fine but you are correct in that I should move it to the other stock I have which will definitely be able to provide proper support.

I'll look at the Viper scopes too.
I agree . I like a bit of length in the barrel on a long range gun also . The extra weight will make shooting the big cartridge a lot nicer . If the terrain is open then shooting of a bi-pod might be good at longer ranges. Atlas bi-pods are not bad.

Thank you!

Been raining here for the past 10 days, now only off-and-on, so may be slowing down. I really need to send a few.

Looks like I have a line on a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 with the NP1RR ranging reticle. We'll see.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.