New 6.5-06AI build has arrived

billigoat

I've been wanting to have a long range rifle built for years and I finally got it done. I bought a Montour County Rifles fully blueprinted Remington 700 long action several years ago off the classifieds on this forum. A few months ago I contacted Kevin at Montour County Rifles and we discussed the build. These are the specs of the build. Remington 700 long action, MullerWorks barrel, 1-8 twist #5 contour finished at 26 inches, Manners EH2 stock, Jewell trigger set at 2 lbs, MCR recoil lug, 20 MOA rail and 3 port muzzle brake. Kevin then finished it all off by Cerakoting all the metal in McMillan tan. I topped it off with a Night Force NXS 5.5-22x55. The rifle and optics together weigh in at 10.75 lbs. Not exactly a light weight mountain rifle, but... if she shoots, I'll be glad to carry the extra pounds.
To fire form the cases I started with Winchester 270 brass, necked it down to 6.5, trimmed them to length and outside neck turned the cases just enough to knock off the high spots and make them concentric. I'm going to fire form with R-23 behind 140 VLD's jammed into the lands to maintain head space. With CCI-BR2 primers to ignite the fire. I'll get a range report and some rifle pics up ASAP.

supplied.jpg

I loaded some test rounds with R-23, from 50 grains to 58 in .5 increments. I started seeing pressure signs at 56 and stopped. So I loaded the rest of the rounds for fire forming with 54 grains and went back to the range. Luckily it's only a 5 minute drive to where I can shoot out to 1500 yards.
6.5 ridge pic.jpg
6.5 shower.jpg

As you can see it's monsoon season in south east Arizona and the wind picked up so I just moved to the bottom of the canyon where it's protected from most of the wind and continued firing.
This is fire form/ barrel break in so there was a lot of breaks between shots. I had 6 rounds left from the evening before so I went back the next day to fire them off. It was starting to rain so I set a target out at 100 yards, got all six rounds fired in less than 30 seconds and here is the group.
penny shot.jpg

My initial impression is that Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles really knows how to build a rifle. I will post the results of a ladder test with the Hornady 143 ELD-X's when I get it done.

If you use 280 cases instead of 270 cases, you can headspace off of the shoulder instead of jamming the bullet.

Congrats Billi! I shot one for years and they are a great cartridge! Couple of recommendations: I would use 270 Norma brass which is much more consistent, or better yet, 270 RWS which is very tough. Try some RL26 powder for top velocity and also good accuracy. Good shooting........Rich

I neck down ( in 2 steps ) Lapua 30-06 brass and use it in 1000yd BR and couldn't be more pleased. There are more than a few ways to get there but to use Lapua this is the way.

Hey Rich, I had a pound of RL26 in my hand the other day at Sportsman's but put it back. I'll give it a try. This Winchester brass is definitely not the best. Premium brass is on my list.
Well I loaded up some Hornady 143 ELD-Xs with RL23 from 54 to 60 grains at .5 increments. I set the target at 632, guestimated the come up and this is what I came up with.
ladder pic.jpg

From 55.5 to 58 grains the vertical isn't too bad. At 59 I blew a primer. I tried some more at 57 to 58 but pressures were still too high.
I backed off to 56 and here are the results at 300 yards. I was aiming at the bottom right corner of the tape.
quarter.jpg

Then at 827 I dialed up 12 MOA and got this. I know it's only 2 shot groups but I don't need to burn a barrel up when I know it shoots better than I do.
827 yard target.jpg

I'll mess with the seating depth some ans see if it will tighten up. But I'm pretty happy with it as it is.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.