My first LR rifle cal 264 Win Mag, need some help.

Norway

Hello all.

Well, time for me to get myself my first LR rig.
Not going to spend a lot of cash, so I will use my old Weatherby MkV action, made in -85 and have it chambered for .264 Win Mag.
The gun will get a heavy barrel with a suppressor.
I will use 140 gr AB/ABLR and/or 140 gr Berger bullets.
Game will be roe deer, red deer, rein deer, chamois.

Here is my questions:

WillI be ok with a 1:8 twist rate?

What barrel length will be "best"
I mean, the rifle will be hunting riel to, meaning I need to carry it around in the woods, climbing hills and mountains.
I like a short and many rifle, but not to short, like to keep some of the fps one get form the 264Win Mag.

Thanks for helping and thanks for a great forum, have got me started with long range shooting.
Cheers form Norway.

Hello all.

Well, time for me to get myself my first LR rig.
Not going to spend a lot of cash, so I will use my old Weatherby MkV action, made in -85 and have it chambered for .264 Win Mag.
The gun will get a heavy barrel with a suppressor.
I will use 140 gr AB/ABLR and/or 140 gr Berger bullets.
Game will be roe deer, red deer, rein deer, chamois.

Here is my questions:

WillI be ok with a 1:8 twist rate?

What barrel length will be "best"
I mean, the rifle will be hunting riel to, meaning I need to carry it around in the woods, climbing hills and mountains.
I like a short and many rifle, but not to short, like to keep some of the fps one get form the 264Win Mag.

Thanks for helping and thanks for a great forum, have got me started with long range shooting.
Cheers form Norway.

For your intended application, you don't need a heavy barrel. But, you do need barrel length. For 264 Win Mag, a 26" barrel is a sensible minimum. As for twist rate, 1:8 is the way to go, if you are using cup and core bullets like those you mentioned. If you are considering using mono metal bullets of some kind, you may wish to consider a tighter twist.

Norway,

benchracer mentioned mono-metal bullets. I used them in a medium range rifle. Specifically I used the Barnes LRX 127 grainers. They were excellent performers. Like he says, a 26 inch barrel is minimum. If you go to a shorter barrel you might as well chamber it for a 6.5-06.

I have a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultra light with a 26" barrel that end with a diameter of .550" and shoots five into 3/4" at 100 meters. So a heavy barrel is not necessary.

Thanks for the reply.
I will look what the gunsmith have and go for a min. of 26" but no need for heavy barrel.
Any tip on a scope?

But it does need to be heavy enough to thread for a suppressor.

+1! My gunsmith's preference/recommendation is ~.750" at the muzzle min for a 26" tube. I have a 27.5" Lilja with sender varmint contour (.830") with a .30 Bravo Eliteiron suppressor on my .30 Lara full custom.

I went with a 30" Shilen barrel with 6 grove and 1 in 8 twist on my Remington 721 264wm. Love the way it shoots. Rifle weighs 12.5 LBS.

Hello 264 WM
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like an interesting gun.
Can I ask what bullets you use?
FPS?

Hello 264 WM
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like an interesting gun.
Can I ask what bullets you use?
FPS?
I have been using a variety of bullets 85gr Sierra HP, 100grSierra HP, 95gr Hornady Vmax, 100gr Nosler Bt, 130gr JLK VLD, and 160gr Woodleigh PPSN. I have also acquired some 120gr HCSP Speer bullets to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.