Need help with my first long range rifle and caliber

Any of the heavy barrel savages in 6.5 creedmore with 1 in 8 twist,hornady ammo with 140r Amax.If you reload, reloader 17 and 140gr berger Vld.If you want a brake very little recoil.

I've been shooting and hunting for many years and have finally decided to put together a long range big game/target gun. In my collection of guns I own a few slug guns including a savage bolt action slug gun, savage smokeless muzzleloader, Ar 15, Fal, and a savage model 12 223. I'm not new to shooting and shoot good groups out to 300 yards some of my guns. I live in a shotgun/ muzzleloader only state(ohio) for whitetail so never got into the long range rifle game. Was thinking of getting a 308 since I'm already set up to reload with it for my FAL but seems like it's not the caliber of choice. I'd like to put together a gun I can go out west and hunt elk and other big game with. I'm a little recoil sensitive so I'm not sure on the magnum cartridges like 7mm or 300 mag and I'm not sure there's a purpose for them. Was looking at the 6.5 creedmoor or 260. Will these serve my needs for whatever I want to hunt in North America within reason? I already have a scope I picked up for the new rifle a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP from a friend. Also looking for a rifle to buy in my new caliber. I've always had good luck with savage rifles and was thinking a long range hunter 11/111. I'd like to keep the rifle at about $1000 give or take a few. Or would I be better off buying another savage or a used action and having it rebarreled? I have access to shoot to 600 yard range and 1000 if I drive awhile. Obviously don't think I'd be shooting at anything that far except paper but it would be nice to punch holes in paper or steel targets at that distance. Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to the whole long range shooting game.

Well I "don't" want to start a caliber baiting war over this, but if you have a FAL .308 Win, that well shoot 1 ½ moa with a good hunting load…put a break on it and grab a couple of four or five round hunting magazines, along with a good 3x9 scope and there's not to many Elk out here you can't kill at a respectable range.
It's always going to be about bullet placement; unless you move out into the real thin air where the magnums have the edge at distance do to energy, say over 600 plus yards and believe me 95% of the Elk are under that mark.
But it's always fun to have one more caliber in the safe.

Good luck

I think I've decided on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I thinks it's the best for me with little recoil and seems like they're pretty accurate. I'm going to stay away from the magnum rounds. I've shot a few magnum rifles and even with a break I didn't like the recoil nor do I think I need the extra power. I think I could hunt just about anything I want with the 6.5 within 3 or 400 yards which I think is plenty. The creedmoor also seems like it has the cheapest match grade factory ammo and the most following right now. I actually didn't know you could hunt with a FAL because it being a semi auto. My Fal is a 1 moa gun all day long. That even gives me another option.

I think I've decided on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I thinks it's the best for me with little recoil and seems like they're pretty accurate. I'm going to stay away from the magnum rounds. I've shot a few magnum rifles and even with a break I didn't like the recoil nor do I think I need the extra power. I think I could hunt just about anything I want with the 6.5 within 3 or 400 yards which I think is plenty. The creedmoor also seems like it has the cheapest match grade factory ammo and the most following right now. I actually didn't know you could hunt with a FAL because it being a semi auto. My Fal is a 1 moa gun all day long. That even gives me another option.
I don't know of any state in which it's unlawful to hunt with a Semi Auto. Check your state game laws though because some states have magazine capacity limits.

The FAL is a fine rifle and the .308 a very capable around.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts