My First LR Rifle Build-What ya think?

Jack Hoyt

After some research and opinions from this forum I have decided on what I am getting for my first (but not last) long range hunting rifle. Goal was nice, quality rifle that can kill out to 750 yards and be used for Pronghorn to Elk and anything in between.

Also, I decided to use someone local to my area. Your thoughts a opinions are welcomed.

Remington 700 long action mag. SS
300 Win Mag
Blue printed
factory bolt
Timney trigger, 2 lbs.
Hollands .250", pinned recoil lug
PTG SS bottom metal, hinged floorplate
Bartlein SS 5R Rem Varmint contour barrel 1:10 twist
Magna-Port
McMillan Remington Hunter stock in Woodland Spectre
Alum. pillar and bedded
extra swivel stud for bipod
and top it off with a Leupold VX 3i or Nightforce SHV F1 or maybe a Vortex HS LR

Built by Bohman Arms in Batesville, IN

After some research and opinions from this forum I have decided on what I am getting for my first (but not last) long range hunting rifle. Goal was nice, quality rifle that can kill out to 750 yards and be used for Pronghorn to Elk and anything in between.

Also, I decided to use someone local to my area. Your thoughts a opinions are welcomed.

Remington 700 long action mag. SS
300 Win Mag
Blue printed
factory bolt
Timney trigger, 2 lbs.
Hollands .250", pinned recoil lug
PTG SS bottom metal, hinged floorplate
Bartlein SS 5R Rem Varmint contour barrel 1:10 twist
Magna-Port
McMillan Remington Hunter stock in Woodland Spectre
Alum. pillar and bedded
extra swivel stud for bipod
and top it off with a Leupold VX 3i or Nightforce SHV F1 or maybe a Vortex HS LR

Built by Bohman Arms in Batesville, IN

Sounds like an excellent choice to 750 yards, and well beyond with some practice!...Rich

Jack,
I don't see barrel length listed, but would assume you are going 26" or shorter.Also, I am not a fan of manga porting. I would go with a muzzle brake instead.
As fas as barrel contour, I think with the Rem Varm. Contour that the rifle might be on the heavy side, unless it is fluted. Not sure if this will be a carry rifle, but might want to look at changing barrel contour.
You picked a good caliber, and I would look at chambering it to shoot the 215 Berger. I would also send a pm to BROZ on this sight to see how he would set up a 300 WM. He has a lot of experience with this caliber and the 215 Berger setup.

I would also do a brake instead of magna-porting. They are way more effective. If you have a backpack with a gun scabbard or aren't going to walk very far then a Rem Varmint contour is fine. If your going to shoulder carry it I would do a #5 contour or maybe even a #4. The heavier the better/easier it is to shoot accurately. A #5 26" and not super heavy on the other components will end up about + or - 10lbs. A Rem. Varm barrel will be closer to 11lbs with a lighter scope and if you use a Nightforce with heavy rings it could easily be 12+lbs.

That's why I posted the info. Wanted some feedback. I will look into Axion receiver for sure.

Barrel is 26" and the REM Varmit/Sendaro countour so I thought it was fluted, will double check. Website says it weighs 4.65 lbs.

I was going to go with a Veis muzzle break but did not want the extra length but I can still change and cancel Magna port if I want to.

Looks like maybe the Vortex scope to start since I can save some money having family member buy it direct with their discount.

Still got to figure out rings and bases. Talley or ??

Appreciate the info and feedback!

I will be able to offer more input in about April.... building almost the same rifle
Rem 700 SS action - bad assess fluting and bolt handle webbing will be done by Kampfeld Custom
Krieger Sendero contour SS 1:10 (4 grove) finished at 26" - Bad assess spiral fluted by Kampfeld ( yup I know Krieger warranty in regards to fluting)
Krieger chambered and trued to action 300 win mag
Muscle mini break SS
Holland .250 recoil lube fitted by Krieger
Jewell trigger 1 lb
Rem. SS bottom metal
McMillan A-5 adjustable check, 70% black, 15% light gray, 15% white
Not decided on glass get but looking at the piggy bank I'm guessing the nicest Tesco $40.00 can buy.

I'd use a Win 70 action; almost 3 times stiffer than the Remington and a lot more reliable. Besides, its flat surfaces hold bedding better than a round receiver.

I don't know what your reasons/objectives are for fluting the barrel, but it's best done before the barrel is rifled and lapped to exact specs.

I would also use a break instead of porting have a 300 with it and it is not something I would ever do again. 300 wm is a great choice. Everything else looks pretty good

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.