My first 280AI buck

tmwtrfwler

I was able to let my latest Nosler toy eat this weekend. I picked up the Liberty in 280AI a month ago, put a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 I had laying around on it and got it sighted in dead on at 300 yards. This gun may make my Nosler 300 win mag collect dust here in Virginia. I got out Saturday afternoon with a friend. He hadn't hunted deer since he was 8 (we are 40).

He used an old 6.8 AR I built years ago. 40 minutes into his sit about 1000 yards from me he shot a nice promising 8 pointer. I'm happy for him but dang that would've been a stud in a few years.

At 4:45 I had a doe and her fawn come running out of the woods along the highway. She was clearly being chased as I could see her drooling and foaming at the mouth with my binoculars. The point she came out was about 400 yards behind me. I knew something was pushing her.

Roughly 100 yards behind her came the buck I shot. About half way to my stand he gave up and turned due north. That presented me a 205 yard layup shot. I put the crosshair dead behind the front leg and let it fly. He ran 10 yards and dropped. He's an older deer. Hard to tell while he's laying down. Huge body.

To say I'm pleased with the 280AI is an understatement. I used 150 grain long range accubonds.

2017 Buck 1.jpg
2017 Buck 2.jpg

Nice bucks! Good work.
I just chambered a 280 AI last week. It's still sitting in the shop while I wait for 7mm bullets to get here. Hopefully I'll get it out and get a Sitka with it before the season ends.

Took 2 more does with it over thanksgiving break. My God what a round this thing is. It's absolutely devastating to the deer. hearts destroyed and both dead right there. this is by far my favorite rifle now. Makes me think about selling my nosler 300 win mag project as I'll probably never shoot it now.
*project b/c I threaded it, put a break on it for a suppressor.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.