My budget quasi custom 260 AI build.

Here's a quick pic @codyadams . Sorry the quality isn't great. I have some SWFA low rings but the medium height feels good so I left them on.

Attachments

• 20230301_085401.jpg
    20230301_085401.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There are additional costs. I used a midway action wrench and midway barrel vice. The barrel was glued in at the factory so the original 22-250 sporter barrel spun in the vice. I ended up soaking the barrel for two weeks in penetrating oil with it still spinning. I finally used a pipe wrench which left deep gouges on that factory barrel. It was toast so I didn't care. When the new, used 260 AI barrel didn't fit I reinstalled the factory barrel and found one bullet that still got .05 moa. That load accounted for a 583 yard chuck. That was pre pandemic so I wasted a lot of powder and bullets to find that load. I'd highly advised against wasting components now lol. I probably could of been halfway to a criterion barrel on what I wasted finding that load.

Applied ballistics lists it as .340 g7 as well, and also has a custom profile of the bullet, which matches the .340 G7, fwiw
I read on a thread, probably yours, that Litz's latest G7 was .340. If I get a rangefinder that's compatible with AB then I'll pay for their app. Having their custom profile would be worth it.

I've only taken the bullet to 1100 yards. The .340 wasn't enough and I was impacting two-tenths high. I'm at 0.358 now but I need to get some of the drifts to melt so I can see my 1500 yard plate and true it out better.
At .358 G7 I believe you're higher than Barnes' BC. I'd keep an eye on your weather conditions and plug them into your app. I've seen cold weather send BC higher which is contrary to JBM's app. The only thing I can account this to is air density but don't have a way to confirm it. I saw it on an Oehler and was confirmed out to 1100 yards. I haven't seen it since though.

Everything checked out on my Kestrel/AB when I was shooting. I won't get too excited about it until I can get to my long plate though.
Can also be the adjustment percentage of the optic. Even some more expensive scopes have shown more/less adjustment than indicated by the dial. This combined with a possible low engraving bore that helps bc a little, or many other possible variations can add up for sure!

Can also be the adjustment percentage of the optic. Even some more expensive scopes have shown more/less adjustment than indicated by the dial. This combined with a possible low engraving bore that helps bc a little, or many other possible variations can add up for sure!
No way! It's a ZCO. 😁 I need to get back to the range to confirm. Even if it's "only" a 0.340 G7, that would be just fine given what I paid for these bullets.

@xsn10s what brass are you using? Maybe I missed it.

No way! It's a ZCO. 😁 I need to get back to the range to confirm. Even if it's "only" a 0.340 G7, that would be just fine given what I paid for these bullets.

@xsn10s what brass are you using? Maybe I missed it.
I'm using Nosler 2nd's 260 Rem brass. But I also have some Starline SRP brass. I'll fire form that when the weather gets warmer.

I shot out of the back of my pickup yesterday and was able to see my 1509 yard plate. I settled on a 0.349 G7. If I end up shooting the NF ELR match again this year, I may use this combo. It is very accurate and consistent. It was tough to tell, but I didn't notice an obscene amount of vertical dispersion at my far plate.

I'm shooting them out of a 6.5 PRC at 2990 FPS with a Bartlein 7.75 to 7.25 gain twist barrel which may be contributing to the slight BC increase.

@xsn10s keep your results coming! I'm only somewhat offended that your rifle costs a fraction of mine and is performing just as well. ;)