My Boys Want a Lever Action

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Are Marlin 336s worth a dang anymore with Remington going belly up?

Should I get a Henry?
General......I'd get one of each...that way the boys will know who's is who's....and you can tell us which is better! 🤣

Older. Marlin all. Steel receiver . 336. In. 35. Rem. Great little. Rifle. ! So is the marlin 1893 in30 30!! Both. Were drilled. And. Tapped. Fir scope mount ! I. Also. Like my. Winchester. 94 XTR. In375. Winchester! All. Three are. Pleasant to. Shoot

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Should I get a Henry?
If you can get a Remington do so. I have purchased 4 Marlin 336 back some 35 years ago as starter rifles for Deer hunting, even today it's the first thing any of them take camping for security and none of them would hesitate to drop anything from a moose to a rabbit . They all have their favourites now but if you can't get a Remington there's nothing wrong with Marlin for starter rifles

Should I get a Henry?

Light recoil deer gun shots under 200. I was thinking 30-30
I would get a blr in 243 win 7mm08 its a short action round in both as well. it is very accuratte shoots out past 200 yards also light recoil.a great caliber for youth. Heck as i get older for deef hunting i use my 243 more then my 270 7mag 308 270 wsm 300 wsm I know you said under 200 yards. Im just not a fan of 3030 and pistol cartridges. Because if you have to shoot past 200 you cant. The blr the whole action drops down when you run the lever so you dont get pinched fingers too

As a hunter trappee safety instructor I don't care for lever actions as a child's first rifle simply for the fact of accidental discharges during loading and unloading. Even the newer models with crossbolt safeties. Now on the flip side, also wanteda lever action and when I went with my dad to get my first rifle I wanted an 88 in the worse way but my dad insisted on a 760. Both good rifles but the 760 was not what I wanted. I really didn't like itbut outof respect and appreciation I used it until I could afford to buy what I wanted. No matter what you choose, the Marlin or the Henry you boys will be happy. I do like my Marlins but I like the tube feed of the Henry as easier to load.

Takedown Baby!
IMG_0985.jpg

I would look at the Savage Model 99. Have two of them. Shot my first whitetail buck with an old 303 Savage long barrel half octagon/half round. Was my Dads still have it. The other a rare Model 99 in 284 Winchester. But for cool factor the Winchester or Marlin are hard to beat. Henry is building one now in 6.5 Creedmoor called the long range. The savage was prevalent in our area don't know why.

If it hasn't yet been said, Winchester made the model 88 in .243, .284, .308, and .358 (I think). I have the 243 and 308 that were inherited. I hunted with my 308 from 12 to 16 years old. Fine rifles that are more accurate than a lever gun should be. It was my Grandfathers. He was right handed but had very poor vision in his right eye. He bought the lever gun so he could shoot left handed and not have to run a bolt gun awkwardly. Worth a look.

Hey guys and gals I hunt and shoot a Marlin 1894 SS in 45-70 also a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem will do the number deer , black bear , elk and buffalo with right ammo. look at my pic. Buffalo 125 yds 405 grain Buff Bore load one shot and down , love levers. Not long range but good to 350 yds.

Recent Posts